few buds this year - why?

hipchick(z6 NE MA)June 8, 2006

When we moved to our house there were tons of peonies - most situated under a large conifer. The first year I moved all of them, and they have bloomed every year without fail since. We have a pretty shady yard, so some are in sunnier spots than others and bloom more, but all have always had at least several buds.

This year there is almost nothing! Even my good bloomers have definately less buds, and several clumps have absolutely nothing!

I am in new england, and this past winter was pretty warm, and we had a very warm spell mid winter. Might that have caused it? I also had a tree near all of them fertilized 2 or 3 years ago - would that cause it?

My neighbor has tons of beautiful blooms - I am so sad!!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
calistoga_al

Peonies really love a rich humusy soil. While I have never fertilized my peonies I do compost around them spring and fall. Never on the root but around the edges, two inches of finished compost. They always bloom well. Al

Bookmark   June 8, 2006 at 9:55AM
Edward_Kimball

I have no answers for you but I have noticed that my clump of Pink Luau has no buds. Nice Gal and all of my Tree Peonies have buds. Actually, two of the tree peonies are done for the year but they put on a decent show.

Edward
Timberlea, NS

Bookmark   June 12, 2006 at 10:34AM
chris_ont(5a Ont)

Did you add mulch, leaves, soil or compost on top of the roots last fall? Peonies won't bloom if they are buried too deep and it's easy to accumulate "stuff" on top of their crowns over time.

Bookmark   June 13, 2006 at 9:01AM
jackz411

Since they have been blooming well for several years the conclusion is that something in their enviroment has changed. how do the leaves look? Does the plant look healthy? In size is it similiar to last years growth?

I'm in VT and my peonies are thriving like crazy with 12-15 flower heads per plant which will open in about a week. each year they grow bigger and stronger with more blooms and this is probably year 8 for them.

Off the top of my head I would try to enrich the soil with manure and compost, not so much for this years blooms but for next year.

Bookmark   June 16, 2006 at 10:32AM
More Discussions
Springhill Kirinmaru Peony
I just received Kirinmaru Peony from Springhill. The...
KarenPA_6b
Peonies + Primroses?? Ideas Please!
Hi everyone :) Hope everyone had a good christmas and...
heavenlyfarm
New to peonies and have some questions!
I'd like to add some peonies to my garden this year...
DandyLioness (CA 9, SZ 14)
Adelman's Itoh Offerings for 2015
Has anyone seen Adelman's new peony catalog yet? They...
lizbest1
Mulching peonies with limestone chips
Does anyone mulch their peonies with limestone chips...
enith
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™