Miniature coconut palm question

bananafanMarch 19, 2007

I'm interested in finding out the name of the smallest coconut palm tree that ever existed. Has any one of you heard of it or ever planted one before. I heard somewhere that there's a kind grown in the Philippines and the fruits are only the size of an egg.

Also, is there one particular kind of coconut palm that might be a little cold resistant?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
topher2006

This one is supposed to be cold hardy but i know nothing about it.

Sorry can't find anything on a mini coconut.

Here is a link that might be useful: http://cgi.ebay.com/Highland-COCONUT-COLD-Hardy-Bolivian-Palm-Tree-2-gallon_W0QQitemZ230034334210QQcmdZViewItem

Bookmark   March 22, 2007 at 8:36AM
ronalawn82(z9FL)

As far as I know, the coconut palm (Cocos nucifera) is the only species in this genus. However there are one or two spp. in the genus Lytocaryum which sound like the plant you describe. I know nothing else about them.

Bookmark   March 25, 2007 at 5:18PM
bananafan

topher2006, thanks so much for the link. I think the Bolivian coconut palm is a very handsome tree--very tall and I like the fact that it's cold hardy and produces real coconuts! However, I'm been wondering how does one get to the coconuts when they're so high up? If I have a monkey as a pet, maybe that will solve the problem. In any case, I'm seriously thinking of getting one now regardless of how I could get the fruit down. Since the light requirement is not as demanding as the regular coconut tree, I think I have a spot for it on the southside of my yard where the sunlight is filtered.

Ronalawn82, I've found a thread with some info on dwarf coconut palm. Some people posted some pictures there. If interested, here's the link to the thread.

http://forums.gardenweb.com/forums/load/tropical/msg01195840520.html?11

Bookmark   March 26, 2007 at 10:43PM
ronalawn82(z9FL)

Many thanks for sharing the information. I now know a little more than I did and I can learn much more.
Knowledge defies mathematics. The more it is divided, the more it is multiplied.

Bookmark   March 28, 2007 at 7:15PM
More Discussions
Cycas Revoluta - only two shoots
Hello, I am new here, and I have a question about a...
oxford_pictionary
Windmill palm still alive in Chicago!
Going to have to build a bigger box next year! This...
rosekuchar
Spindle palm pot size?
Hey guys. It's been hovering around 0F here, with jaunts...
Cally Paparelli
Trimming Cycad Fronds
I have two King Sago Palms, in pots, in my enclosed...
mamaheel
Areca seeds germinating
For years my palm was seeding but something always...
tropicbreezent
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™