Floating seeds

Bill106(4)January 31, 2013

I recently read in my "Complete Book of Chile Peppers" that you should discard any seeds that are floating after being soaked for 6 hours or so. Apparently those seeds are bad. Does anyone else use this method to choose the seeds to sow? I'm a bit concerned with my Choc. Habs...13 are floating and 4 are submerged.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Dhelsdon(2A)

I use the paper towel method, and germinate them until I see a taproot emerging. It seems to work well for me, but I've also tried the way your suggesting and there is always some that stay floating.

I'd hate to toss seeds based on that, but if you have a surplus then I could understand that.

Bookmark   January 31, 2013 at 1:56PM
chilliwin(EU DK 7)

I do not follow that method. I know from my experiences, floated seeds are also germinated.

New container gardener,
Caelian

Bookmark   January 31, 2013 at 1:58PM
esox07

I simply plant several seeds in each new starter and unless all the seeds are bad, I always get a couple to come up. Then I cull the less vigorous ones after they get an inch or so high and just keep the strongest one. If seed supply is an issue, then maybe the paper towel or seed floating would be a necessary step.
Bruce.

Bookmark   January 31, 2013 at 2:22PM
Bill106(4)

OK thanks for the quick responses. I've got enough seeds to spread them out for sowing. I feel more confident. Thanks again all. Happy sowing.

Bookmark   January 31, 2013 at 2:43PM
DMForcier(8 DFW)

See my Floating Zombie Pepper Seeds thread nearby for observations and data on this very question (plus a lot of crap). The floaters did not germinate, but then nothing did. Like the good little zombies they would have become, they are still dead. In other words, no data is good data.

I would move to the paper towel/baggy anyway, floater or not. The proof is in the root.

Bookmark   January 31, 2013 at 6:57PM
More Discussions
I had it bookmarked
It looks like it is the whole enchilada, not that cut...
ronnyb123
bad batch of corn … oh
OTOH nothing happened after 26 days with my first batch...
bragu_DSM 5
My Carolina Reapers and Naga Viper need help!
As you can see from the pictures above each of the...
krystalpepper
Cooking With Fresh Peppers
When we talk about chili/ hot peppers, hot red peppers...
Seysonn_ 7b-WA/HZ1
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™