Question about Japanese Peony

posieh(3)June 20, 2007

I'm usually not at this site but I do have alot of Peonies. However, I am wondering how you tell a Japanese Peony from others? Would appreciate your answers. Thanks.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
judyefd(6ma/4vt)

If you're talking about herbaceous peonies (not tree peonies), my limited understanding is that Japanese peonies have single petals all around. I'm sure there's more to it than that.

Here's some info I found from Iowa State University:

"Garden peonies are classified into five different flower forms: single, semi-double, double, Japanese, and anemone.

Single flowered peonies have one row of petals surrounding a cluster of yellow stamens. The stamens are the "male" reproductive organs of the flower and are composed of the filament and pollen-bearing anthers.

Semi-doubles have multiple rows of petals surrounding a cluster of yellow stamens.

The stamens of the double-flowered peonies do not bear pollen and have been transformed into petal-like structures.

Japanese peonies have five or more large petals surrounding stamens that bear no pollen. The absence of pollen distinguishes the Japanese from the single flower form.

Anemones are similar to the Japanese type except the stamens are wider and more petal-like.

In addition to the five flower forms, the garden peony has two close relatives. They are the tree peony (Paeonia suffruticosa) and the fern leaf peony (Paeonia tenuifolia)."

Hope this clears things up!

Now I've learned something too.
Judye

Bookmark   June 26, 2007 at 12:58PM
More Discussions
dividing peonies
We are having a mild, dry January. Would it be a bad...
kAli6275
New at growing peonies
Hi, I LOVE peonies, but I am new at growing them. After...
dizzylizzy415
germinated peony seeds care
Tow seed started germinating about 2 months ago. the...
cumulus_nimbus
Ask: Is this a peony?
Hi, three weeks ago i purchased peony seeds online....
rafflesia
Tree Peonies from Songsparrow
Well I just placed an order to Songsparrow Nursery...
peonyman
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™