Need some dividing peonies tips

kimmy517(z5 OH)June 3, 2008

My husband's aunt is going to give me some divisions of her peonies when we go to visit, is there any tips to give me on digging them up and so forth. I would do it the last day im there and plant them as soon as I get home.

Thanks,

kim

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
calistoga_al ca 15 usda 9

It may depend on what your aunt will let you do, as well as your willingness to do the heavy lifting. This is not the best time for this project. Her peonies are probably in bloom. Maybe you are going to visit in the fall. In the fall I would dig the whole plant up using care to not break off any more of the tuberous roots in the digging. With a strong stream of water wash off all the soil. In the fall you will be able to see the buds for next years growth and with a sharp knife cut up the roots leaving 3 to 5 five buds on each piece. There will be some tuberous roots where no buds are visible. Plant them in pots anyway because the energy stored in the fleshy roots will often cause advantageous or dormant buds to grow. From one old peony I can usually get up to 10 viable plants. If you are visiting your aunt now I would be content to cut a division from the plant in the ground from the edge of the root mass and not disturb the rest of the plant. Al

Bookmark   June 4, 2008 at 9:51AM
More Discussions
bare root peonies - when to plant?
Well, its that time of year in the northeast when I...
frances_in_nj
Double Pink Fernleaf
I have seen the most beautiful pink double fernleaf,...
KarenPA_6b
2015 peony blooms
Please update your peonies blooms or growth here. This...
bunti
dividing peonies
We are having a mild, dry January. Would it be a bad...
kAli6275
Itohs at Michigan Bulb
In case anyone is interested, MB offers the following...
KarenPA_6b
Sponsored Products
Area Rug: Smithsonian Golden Brown 5' x 8' Flatweave
Home Depot
Ledra Ice Square LED Recessed Wall with J Box
Lightology
Seahorse Tablecloth
$44.00 | FRONTGATE
Drifted Arm Chair in Red
$154.99 | Dot & Bo
Amri Cabinet
Overstock.com