Should I Dead-Head Seed Pods

kathyinky(z6KY)June 23, 2005

Is it better to dead-head my peonies to prohibit seed growth? Would doing so provide more "energy" to the plant?

Unfortunately I haven't been able to visit my garden in a while :( and I went out there this morning to find huge swollen seed pods already in place. If I should dead-head the pods, is it too late for me to do so now?

OR, should I just let the suckers mature and then plant the seeds? (I know it will take years to get blooms, but, hey, I'm a patient person....)

Thanks for any input.

Kathy

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
flowerluvr(Z5 IN)

I don't do much deadheading on mine...too many of them, and too many weeds to pull :) However, if some of the blooms get particularly nasty looking, I cut them off, just for the sake of appearance. I've not noticed that leaving the seed pods in place has had any ill effect on next year's bloom, or the growth of the plant.

Bookmark   June 23, 2005 at 3:55PM
More Discussions
Any ideas what kind of peony is this one?
Hi, I wonder if anyone knows ( or guesses ) the peony...
AlexUnder
My one peony
We had an unusual hard freeze early last fall here...
bouldergrower
cumulus_nimbus
Ask: Is this a peony?
Hi, three weeks ago i purchased peony seeds online....
rafflesia
Springhill Kirinmaru Peony
I just received Kirinmaru Peony from Springhill. The...
KarenPA_6b
Sponsored Products
Charcoal Wastebasket
$18.99 | zulily
Cappuccino Brown Wicker Sands Porch Swing w/ Cushion
Fifthroom.com
Hamilton Jet Black Two-Light Jet Black Heritage Handcut Crystal Wall Sconce, 14.
$966.00 | Bellacor
Da Vinci Stainless Steel 18-Light Clear Spectra Crystal Pendant Light, 18W x 18H
Bellacor
St. Martin Dining Arm Chair Cushions, Patio Furniture
$174.00 | FRONTGATE
Bruck | Scorpio II Display
$176.25 | YLighting
Sovereign Wall Fountain
$999.00 | FRONTGATE
Tech Lighting | 12V 300W Single-Feed Surface-Mounted Magnetic Transformer for TE
$445.60 | YLighting
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™