White powder on indoor palm

always_outside(8a DFW, TX)March 1, 2008

I have a palm as pictured below and I noticed a lot of the newer leaves were turning brown, so I did a close-up and noticed tiny little white dust like particles literally all over the plant's leaves. I also noticed some webby material, like cobwebs. I was horrified and immediately took the plant outside. It is currently enduring 40 degree nights and 70 degree day temperatures. I feel bad about deserting it outside, but don't know what to do about this problem. I can't use any toxic chemicals. This palm has two NEW shoots coming out, so I know the plant itself is healthy despite this mite, dust, whatever it is. Please help me save this plant. :( What do I need to do to save it? Thanks for any help.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
subtropix

Your palm has spider mites. This is not unusual over the winter season with indoor cultivation. I had this recently with a Christmas palm. I immediately dragged it into the shower and liberally showered it (being sure to especially get the underside of the leaves (some soapy water helps). It looks better now and I just have to hold out until my frost safe date for the plant when I can get it out in part sun. Not sure it is reliably warm enough in your area for it to be not now--especially as it came from a warm home. Unacclimated leaves may burn some due to cooler temps and direct sun (watch those min. temps!) PS. You can also try using an insecticidal soap aftering giving it a shower to inhibit further infestation. Good luck!

Bookmark   March 2, 2008 at 10:09AM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
always_outside(8a DFW, TX)

njoasis: Thank you for your helpful information. Mites - ooooh, doesn't sound too good. I never thought about washing it off in the shower, but that sounds like something I can do to help this plant! I will give it a good cleaning tomorrow in the shower and use some insecticidal soap like you suggested (I actually have some from last year when an outdoor plant got aphids!). I'm glad I'm able to salvage this beautiful plant. Thanks again!

Bookmark   March 2, 2008 at 10:51PM
More Discussions
Coconut Palm in Newport Beach, CA
Hey guys, just thought you'd like an update on the...
cmventura
Windmill Palm Fronds Shriveling!
For about a year now I've had this Windmill Palm planted...
windmillfan
What's happening here?
One of my young cocos is showing these odd spots?I...
coconutman
Trimming Cycad Fronds
I have two King Sago Palms, in pots, in my enclosed...
mamaheel
Windmill survival opinion
I have a windmill, only about 1 foot of trunk, maybe...
islandbreeze
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™