polycultures, brassicas, and crop rotation

lizabeulah(7)May 25, 2008

Hi all,

I'm very new to permaculture (and pretty new to gardening in general). But we built some new beds this year, right outside our back door, to do our first, from-scratch, polycultural veggie garden. (We still have the fenced garden on the far end of our property where we're putting the low-maintenance/low-browse plants.) I used one of the polycultures that Toby Hemenway writes about in Gaia's Garden. Here's my question:

He includes brassicas in the polyculture and we're BIG on eating brassicas, so they're all over the place. But what do we do next year--do we still need to rotate them in a polyculture? Should I concentrate the brassicas in one area of the garden (it's pretty small, so it would be tough) so that I can rotate them next year?

Thanks!

Genevieve

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Belgianpup(Wa/Zone 7b)

You do the best you can with what you've got.

You might try mapping where you planted them this year, and if you can find other spots to place them next year, grow something else in the previous spots.

Increasing the health of the to the maximum is the best way to avoid pests and diseases. Healthy soils produce healthy plants that resist problems more easily. The longer you can go without pests or diseases in your plants, the longer you can replant in the same area.

And you might consider expanding in your "middle area", between the backdoor beds and the low-maintenance area. And don't forget your front yard, side yard, along the driveway, large pots on the patio or driveway, etc.

The longer you do it, the more easily you will be able to tell what will work and what won't.

Sue

Bookmark   June 1, 2008 at 10:04PM
More Discussions
Permaculture in structural pest control
Hi! I'm Sean. I operate Ecological Pest Management...
EcologicalPest
Advice Needed: Rainbarrel series plumbing
Hi, I haven't been on here in a while and never posted...
KateRL
internship, volunteers wanted Coastal Ecuador
Organic farm and permaculture teaching center that...
wrcinashfield
Tropical Swales
Hello, Anyone in the humid tropics ? Making a move...
Cdub44
Arracacia xanthorrhiza/Arracacha
I read about Arracacia xanthorrhiza aka Arracacha in...
timetraveler
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™