Anyone seen this palm?

miketropicApril 27, 2013

It is new to me but may not be new to anyone else but I can't find any info on it..here is the listing

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Dark-Purple-Latan-Palm-Super-New-Hybrid-Very-Beautifu-/370321232397?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0amp;hash=item5638dd920d

(Latania longtrariodes (Gaertn.) is the proper name but I can't find a single thing about it anywhere

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
tropicbreezent

The correct reference is:
Latania lontaroides (Gaertn.) H.E.Moore, Principes 7: 85 (1963).

Some information here:
www.pacsoa.org.au/palms/Latania/lontaroides.html

It looks a bit like a juvenile Livistona mariae, except its leaflets don't spread as wide. From the link it seems it develops the full fan as the plant gets older. The local nurseries have them here but not described as "Super New Hybrid", just Red Latan. From memory they're about $10 to $15 that size.

Bookmark   April 27, 2013 at 3:17AM
lzrddr(91360)

pretty sure that is a gimmick to make you buy a relatively common, but very nice looking palm. Young plants are strikingly colorful, I think WAY more colorful than a Livistona mariae.... but sadly as they mature, they end up looking a lot like all the other Latanias, and even quite a bit like a Bismarckia... .which isn't a bad thing of course, just a bit disappointing after being so spectacularly colored as a juvenile.

Bookmark   April 28, 2013 at 3:29PM
miketropic

I think I could get along alright if it at least kept the red edges..don't think I would pay a very high price for it though.

Bookmark   April 28, 2013 at 4:11PM
tropicbreezent

The juvenile L. mariae are as red as the Red Latans, they also lose the redness as they age, the same as the Latans.

Bookmark   April 29, 2013 at 3:36AM
lzrddr(91360)

I agree they are red, but never seen on green and red like this ... these L lontaroides look like candy to me.

Bookmark   April 29, 2013 at 10:11PM
david_(10a)

Looks pretty normal to me. I'm not an expert, but have owned a few of these in the past.

Bookmark   April 30, 2013 at 6:49AM
lzrddr(91360)

I agree, that is normal looking for Latania lontaroides, but my point was L lontaroides coloration is different from Livistona mariae. Here is a Livistona mariae seedling... nice, but not the same as Latania lontaroides.

Bookmark   April 30, 2013 at 11:14PM
More Discussions
Please help identify my cycad
Hi all, I bought a cycad from a palm nursery that was...
aramat
Mexican Fan Palm - Getting a wee to close to the pool.
We are recent transplants to the southwest so not much...
ranquet91
What's happening here?
One of my young cocos is showing these odd spots?I...
coconutman
Sterling, VA trachy???
Anyone seen or have updates on that big Sterling, Virginia...
islandbreeze
Windmill palm still alive in Chicago!
Going to have to build a bigger box next year! This...
rosekuchar
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™