where to find local help?

vaherbmomMay 18, 2008

When we built our house 6 years ago a large, steep hillside was cleared by necessity. Since then we've had to stringtrim it--a big cost in man-hours as well as gasoline.

I want to convert this hillside into a low maintenance permaculture with native plants, including edibles, if possible, but I don't know how to begin. Over the 6 years I have planted some fruit and ornamental trees and shrubs to reduce the stringtrimming but installing over an acre of groundcover has daunted me.

I don't have lots of money for a landscape architect nor lots of time to study (though right now I am reading through Edible Forest Gardens, only have on loan til 5/31). Most of the "advice" I'll get from local nurseries and the extension service is likely to be conventional--"put in carpet junipers" (actual quote!)

What is the best and easiest/quickest way for me to make a positive change on this hillside? Who locally may be able to advise me inexpensively?

thanks for any advice!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Belgianpup(Wa/Zone 7b)

The only place I could find online was the Blue Ridge Permaculture Network [http://www.blueridgepermaculture.net/resources.html].

Another avenue might be your local Cooperative Extension Service. If the word 'permaculture' throws them, immediately go back to basics and give them the bare bones of what you want: one acre of steep hillside that you want to plant in weed-resisting (possibly native) plants, preferably at least some that produce food.

Other useful info would be degree of slope, type and pH of soil, orientation to sun, temp. min/max, exposure to wind, etc.

The first thing that comes to my mind is berries like blueberries, lingonberries, mulberries (trees, I don't know how large they get), etc. Googling 'small fruits' may produce more info. But the Co-op Ext. should know what will grow there.

Books:
The backyard berry book: a hands-on guide to growing berries, brambles, and vine fruit in the home garden by Stella Otto

The backyard orchardist : a complete guide to growing fruit trees in the home garden by Stella Otto

Uncommon Fruits for Every Garden by Lee Reich

You might also investigate cover crops, as both a weed control (perennial or self-seeding) and as a source of nutrition for the plants.

Sue

Bookmark   June 1, 2008 at 10:48PM
marcinde(7)

Have you looked into a garden coach? I've found that some of my clients who can't swing a full master plan still get some benefit from coaching. There may be someone in your area.

Bookmark   June 27, 2008 at 10:02PM
gardengrrrl

I would check with native plant societies in your area or talk to people about doing "restoration" on the slope. A steep slope isn't a great place to have a food garden, unless you terrace it. Plant natives that will help with erosion control. Start working on raised beds/terraces for the area right next to the house. That will be the easiest for you to take care of. The right garden coach would be a great help.

Bookmark   September 19, 2008 at 10:42PM
More Discussions
making my first swale
Hi,people! I think the best solution to my erosion/run-off...
bart_2010
Tropical Swales
Hello, Anyone in the humid tropics ? Making a move...
Cdub44
Moringa Oleifera - Where can I find it?
Does anyone know where I can find Moringa Oleifera...
socaligarden
to pull out or not bidens?
I been pulling these every year but if it will get...
danell123
grant for permaculture enterprises app due Jan 14, 2015
As you may know, for the last year, our company TGI...
wrcinashfield
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™