Container Soil 2013

chilliwin(EU DK 7)January 3, 2013

For the coming season I have been doing all my best to have some good hot chili plants. This is my first time so I do not like to be failed. However constantly I got frustration one after another :(

Today I went to the nursery center; they give discount on all the organic compost for 50 liter it cost about $10.00. I bought one bag and looking for pine bark and found that the one I have used for my container soil is not pine bark:(. This one:

Are these barks OK to use for container soil mix?

Only the available pine bark is decorative the size is about 1/8 inch. I have been thinking to try Al's 5:1:1 container soil so can I use this decorative pine bark for 5:1:1?

The organic compost:

I hope this compost will be good for hot chili plants. I never found container soils with nutrients value marking, like this one, I feel lucky because the pH level is 5.7 to 6.5.

Any help will be appreciated.

Caelian

This post was edited by chilliwin on Thu, Jan 3, 13 at 15:34

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
greenman28 NorCal 7b/8a

That bark looks very good for use in a container mix.
It has the fibrous look of Fir bark, but I could be wrong. Either way, good stuff.

When you say compost, I assume you mean it in the European sense of 'potting mix.'
It is common for potting mixes to have nutrients/fertilizer added.

Even with the added nutrients, the compost won't be a major fraction of the mix,
so be sure to add 1 Tablespoon Dolomitic Garden Lime per gallon of overall mix you make.
Many of us like to incorporate a slow-release fertilizer like Osmocote, as well.

Josh

Bookmark   January 4, 2013 at 10:52AM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
chilliwin(EU DK 7)

Hi Josh, thank you for the reply.

You are right the potting soil available here have nutrients but I never have seen any label on the bags. The one I bought yesterday has labeled compost and its nutrients values very clearly; this is my first time I have seen. It is also very different from the one I used before. It has a lot of organic substances too and I feel less peat moss.

I am sorry to say this; it'll be a bit difficult to find Dlomitic Garden Lime here but I found something like lime (white creamy) in this compost too, may be they have already added.

Thanks,
Caelian

Bookmark   January 4, 2013 at 11:32AM
More Discussions
Looking for delicious peppers
Just got my first pepper order from Judy at pepperlover....
phylis
Why did my Habaneros and Scotch Bonnets grow like this?
Good evening, I planted and have been growing for habanero,...
h1nsen
Removing aphids from seedlings?
This is the first year I've had this problem. My seedlings...
bella_trix
Is it to early to plant peppers?
I have 2-3 month old pepper starts and was wondering...
syntria
Bhut Jolokia best growing conditions?
I have some Bhut Jolokia peppers coming in the mail....
piranha338
Sponsored Products
White Shag 22 x 22 Pillow
$55.80 | Bellacor
Jardins du Seda France Monarch Quince Two-Wick Candle
$59.50 | FRONTGATE
LED Satin Nickel 12" Tru-Slim Hardwire Picture Light
$173.00 | Cocoweb
Thompson Polished Nickel One-Light Bath Light with Opal Matte Glass
$300.00 | Bellacor
Vinotemp 400G-Credenza Glass Four Door 304 Bottle Wine Cooling Cabinet - 400G-UN
Hayneedle
MidWest Quiet Time Deluxe Fleece Double Bolster Pet Bed Multicolor - 40318-FS
$18.99 | Hayneedle
Robert Louis Tiffany Amber Agate Table Lamp
Lamps Plus
POLYWOOD® Traditional 48 Garden Side Bench
$389.00 | LuxeDecor
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™