Crab Grass

okoutdrsmanJune 20, 2014

Okay, I've heard of using buckwheat, mustard, wheat and numerous other plants for a green manure crop. I've decided to use crabgrass, instead. Not by choice!
I've been working out of town 3-4 days a week and the crabgrass has just about taken over some of my garden that didn't get mulched. It's been too wet to till or weed every time I've been home for the last three weeks. Frustrating!
Wonder how much baled crabgrass would work for hay?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
slowpoke_gardener

I have more problems with Crab Grass than I do with Bermuda Grass. My onions were almost buried in Crab Grass, I pulled most of it, knocked the dirt off it and piled in in the garden. It will be tilled back into the soil when I harvest the rest of the onions.

I think Crab Grass would be OK for hay, but if its too wet to till it is probably too wet to bale also.

Bookmark   June 20, 2014 at 8:46PM
chickencoupe

Oh man, that stinks! The hay I bought had crabgrass seed in it. So, I understand.

Bookmark   June 20, 2014 at 9:30PM
okoutdrsman

I can normally keep it under control, but this year is an exception. At least I got to vent a little!

Bookmark   June 20, 2014 at 9:45PM
Okiedawn OK Zone 7

The Noble Foundation, based in Ardmore, did a lot of research on using crabgrass as forage back in the 1970s and even developed an improved crabgrass they named Red River. I learned this when I did some research after seeing an ad in a magazine placed there by someone in Ardmore who was selling crabgrass seed. I was totally flabbergasted to learn that anyone would buy crabgrass seed and plant it on purpose.

I'll link their crabgrass page for your reading pleasure. You don't even have to thank me for digging up this info. : )

Here is a link that might be useful: The Noble Foundation: Crabgrass For Forage

Bookmark   June 20, 2014 at 10:52PM
More Discussions
Anyone ever read the Soil forum?
Hahaha, I went over to go check out how they were doing...
Lisa_H
Milkweed?
Does anyone have milkweed seeds they could share? I'd...
tracydr
Squash Resistant to Squash Bug and Squash Vine Borer
According to Jay White at Texas A&M University,...
chickencoupe
Attracting Beneficial Insects to Your Landscape
Sometimes I think many gardeners tend to overreact...
Okiedawn OK Zone 7
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™