Q re moving Itoh peonies

slazin(z8 BC)June 13, 2013

I have 2 Itohs, would like to switch places. (Colors on internet weren't what they displayed and each needs to be in the other's place.) Everything I've read says, virtually in ALL CAPS, ITOH PEONIES DON'T WANNA BE MOVED!

Is this really true? If I moved them in October, say (I'm in the Pacific Northwest, near Vancouver), would they cope? And if they were OK in the actual moving, would they likely not bloom next year?

Many thanks!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
KarenPA_6b

Moving them in the fall will not hurt them. The only consequence you may have is you may have limited or no flowers the next year. If your plant is large(more than 20 eyes), I suggest you take this opportunity to split it up in two and replant them as 2 plants.

Bookmark   June 13, 2013 at 8:21PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Normelly(5a)

I moved Garden Treasure a couple of years ago in the fall,when it was already fairly large. Didn't divide it - just took the biggest root ball I could manage, and tried not to shake off too much dirt. It bloomed well the next year. I moved Morning Lilac last fall. It was a relatively small plant, just a couple of years old. Again, I just took as big a root ball as I could. It is blooming well this year.

Bookmark   June 15, 2013 at 5:28AM
More Discussions
late in life experiment
After putting it off forever, I finally decided to...
bragu_DSM 5
Looking for fernleaf peony
I am looking for Fern leaf peony double flower. Can...
bunti
Herbacious peony growing with tree peony
I have a tree peony in my garden that is 4/5 yrs old...
raptor1
germinated peony seeds care
Tow seed started germinating about 2 months ago. the...
cumulus_nimbus
Peonie won't bloom
My mom dug up an old white peonie at an old home site...
Derby42 zone 6
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™