Saved a peony

Lucky_LadJune 13, 2013

Hello, I have a question for the group. I bought an old house 20 years ago. I was cleaning out one neglected shady garden pulling weeds from under bushes.. I saw one weed about 4 or 5 inches tall and thought the leaves looked like a peony. I moved it to a sunny garden and that year it thrived but didn't bloom. I can't remember if it was the next year or the one after but it finally bloomed. And it's the most beautiful peony I have ever seen in my limited experience. It also has an intoxicating fragrance. I've since divided it into about 5 good sized plants. Did I save some rare antique strain, or is it a common plant I haven't seen because they don't sell it at WalMart? Thanks, Laddie

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
KarenPA_6b

Wow, that is a beauty! I don't thinks you would find this at any Walmart or even garden centers. I particularly love the light blush on the outer petals. Great find and save!

Bookmark   June 13, 2013 at 8:03PM
Lucky_Lad

Thanks, I am pleased to have made the save. The first picture is today, on it's first day of bloom. This other picture is after they are open for a few days.
Cheers, Laddie

Bookmark   June 13, 2013 at 9:40PM
Lucky_Lad

OK, I just looked at illinoisdoglover's post of all their amazing peonies. I had no idea they came in so many varieties. By far I see mostly red or white plants in Maine. So maybe my find isn't as rare as I thought it may be, but I still think it is very beautiful. I may have to venture into some more exotic peony purchases now. I still would like to know if "mine" has a name. Any insights would be very appreciated.

Bookmark   June 13, 2013 at 10:31PM
lizbest1(5)

It looks like an anemone type to me, don't know a name. There is a good search engine at http://www.peonies.org/ident.html, looked at the anemone types but didn't see a pic with colors like yours. Some didn't have pics, though, so might have to write down names and do some searches. Good luck!

Bookmark   June 14, 2013 at 12:41AM
lizbest1(5)

Hey Lucky Lad, take a look at Laura Dessert Peony, see if that might be yours. Mine just opened today and looks a lot like your pic.

Bookmark   June 14, 2013 at 10:44PM
terrene(5b MA)

It is a beauty! Great save.

Bookmark   June 15, 2013 at 3:25AM
Lucky_Lad

Thanks. I looked at Laura Dessert and the description calls the center yellow. If I squint one eye I guess it could be yellow on mine, but I would call it ivory. And after a couple of days, it's off white. Also different light makes it look different. Thanks for the comments. Laddie

Bookmark   June 15, 2013 at 12:21PM
More Discussions
light requirements for Sorbet Peonies
Just ordered 4 from Michigan Bulb and the planting...
420benz
Wild Peony (Paeonia mascula) Update:
Hi, Last September I have got 20 Paeonia mascula seeds...
cumulus_nimbus
Itoh fertility
I know that Itoh peonies can't bear viable seeds, but...
pompomoranda
Mulching peonies with limestone chips
Does anyone mulch their peonies with limestone chips...
enith
seedy advice
Scarification we've all been there. But No matter what...
bragu_DSM 5
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™