needle question and yucca ID

P.J._in_MDApril 26, 2012

How difficult is it to move a small needle (besides very carefully due to the sharp needles)? I'm particularly interested if they hate being disturbed and will need a long time to re-establish roots. Do needles have deep or shallow root systems?

Also, I bought this from Plants Delights 3 years ago as a yucca recurvifolia. It's very healthy but has longer fronds and is droopy compared to the others growing or for sale in this area. Could this be something other than a recurvifolia?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
californiamike

Not sure about the needle. The yucca looks good. After about 3 or 4 years and some cleaning of dead leaves it will develop a trunk and look like a little palm

Bookmark   April 26, 2012 at 4:44PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
tropicalzone7(7b)

I dont think you will have a problem digging up the needle palm because you have a lot of room to make sure you dig as far out from the rootball as possible. Try not to damage any roots because root damage will set it back, but they will recover from root damage. Might take 2 years to fully establish (just like if it was newly planted) after that it should grow fast!
Nice yucca! Not sure of the species, but it looks great. Almost reminds me of a ponytail palm!
-Alex

Bookmark   April 26, 2012 at 7:03PM
More Discussions
Germinating Bismarckia nobilis in cool subtropical climate
Hi, I am on Pico island in the Azores and there is...
PicoAzores
Sickly windmill palm
We have a 6ft windmill palm that is about 6-7 years...
Diane2115
Windmill palm still alive in Chicago!
Going to have to build a bigger box next year! This...
rosekuchar
Windmill Palm Fronds Shriveling!
For about a year now I've had this Windmill Palm planted...
windmillfan
Vertically vs horizontally sprouted coconuts
Hello everybody! I saw some vertically sprouted coconuts...
coconutman
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™