Flowering Medierranean Fan and Productive Seed.

subtropixApril 9, 2010

Just outside and noticed that a large clumping Chamaerops humilis is covered in flower buds (on at least two of the larger trunks). This is at least the second year in a row that it has done this. My question is can the plant be propagated from these seeds eventually. How do I know when the seed is ripe once flowers open. Last year when my P. roebellin bloomed, the question didn't occur to me because date palms are either male or female and I only had the male flowering at the time. Thanks in advance.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
mike-jaramillo(Z6b)

Both palms you have need a male and female. It still looks nice and makes you feel good when you get you palms to flower!!

Bookmark   April 9, 2010 at 10:14AM
subtropix

Thank you Mike. I knew about date palms but didn't realize Meds are are normally either male or female. I say normally because I did a little research and apparently there are occasional exceptions for Meds (a few apparently have both gendered flowers on the same plant). I haven't mastered the art of making divisions from their pups--too prickly to even want to try that.

Bookmark   April 9, 2010 at 11:52AM
tropicalzone7(7b)

Yeah I dont think I would want to separate a med. fan palms pups either! It looks better with them all on and more importantly, its just sharp. I planted mine medd. fan palm yesterday in the ground. They are very nice palms. I like the leaf habit and form.
Enjoy the flowers!

Bookmark   April 9, 2010 at 12:13PM
mike-jaramillo(Z6b)

Ill I have a mediterranean palm and I cut and trim it has almost 2 ft straight trunk. Looks like a trachy almost. Theres a pup coming up now if you want when I let it get bigger and send it to you.

Bookmark   April 9, 2010 at 1:20PM
subtropix

Mike, that is extremely generous of you but I will pass on that.--Thank you though. So, you are able to separate their pups, tell us how to do it! Mine is covered with pups. In fact, a few of the pups are flowering I notice! I believe Meds and Trachys are related botanically (Meds are the European relatives of the Asiatic Trachys). Difference is that Trachys are much more moisture tolerant and Meds more arid-loving. Eventually, I am going to be tempted to plant this thing in the ground. I did plant a much smaller "Vulcan" in the front of the house. "Vulcan" has leaves that are less finely divided (kind of remind me of Chinese fans).

Bookmark   April 9, 2010 at 5:11PM
mike-jaramillo(Z6b)

I take the palm out of the pot and put a long blad on the saw zaw and cut them off and toss them in the trash. Hears how I keep it

Bookmark   April 9, 2010 at 5:23PM
More Discussions
Why can`t I find much palm varieties here in So Ca
I moved to Camarillo Zone 10 from IN, I wanted to add...
Andalucia123
Winter coming...
I would like to know if I should put these young Sago...
chez54
How to graft palm?
Hi How to graft palm?
iskhan
Palm fronds turning yellow/brown
I have just moved into a (London, UK) house with some...
Oliver Beattie
Need Help With My Bamboo Plant
I needed to add some nature and greenery to my townhouse,...
talya_dee
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™