Repotting Areca

rikyrik(SE UK 8)April 30, 2013

Hi I have a pair if Areca and was thinking about repotting, the pots they came in have no drainage holes but about 50% spare soil below the root ball (cube), ive had them probably a year, so I was wondering should I pot up a few inches more than the rootball? Should I keep the rootball in its original soil or cafully remove all soil and replace with a fast draining type? Any other tips would helpfull
Thanks
Ps sorry for the sideways pic dunno why my phone does that

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
lzrddr(91360)

if the root ball is a solid cube with almost no soil left, then potting up sounds like a good idea... I would NOT remove the remaining soil from the rootball. Palms do not like their roots disturbed. Best to just plop it in a larger pot and surround it with potting soil. But if rootball is not a solid cube, you do not have to pot it up... drainage would be nice, though.

Bookmark   April 30, 2013 at 11:10PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
rikyrik(SE UK 8)

Thanks, with infinity better drainage i will be able to flush the roots, should I water to wet the soil then after afew minutes poor about a pint of water through at a time leaving a few minutes between to drain then fertilize on the next water time? Or would there be a more specific method?

Bookmark   May 1, 2013 at 6:22AM
More Discussions
Palm ID
Hi, might anyone id these palms? I had asked my landscaper...
reyetwinger
Cycas Revoluta - only two shoots
Hello, I am new here, and I have a question about a...
oxford_pictionary
Mexican Fan Palm - Getting a wee to close to the pool.
We are recent transplants to the southwest so not much...
ranquet91
growing Dypsis lutescens indoors bad idea?
I hear they are really bad indoor plants, What is ideal...
YouthGarden
Spindle palm pot size?
Hey guys. It's been hovering around 0F here, with jaunts...
Cally Paparelli
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™