You've waited a long time - Here's Blue Lagoon!

jackie_o(zone 5/6)June 2, 2005

My Wally World Blue Lagoon is finally opening. I knew it wouldn't be blue but I'm actually very happy with what I got. I LIKE singles. They stand up better without a lot of staking. I think the blooms will get bigger and perhaps fuller with some age on them.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
epons(6)

How is the fragrance?
Since mine aren't going to bloom this year..I need something to look forward to.
Great pictures..thanks for sharing.
Elayne

Bookmark   June 3, 2005 at 2:29PM
shrubs_n_bulbs(z8/9 UK)

I'd be p'd off if someone sold me a blue peony and I got that. But then I don't like pink ;)

On a similar vein, I saw the "blue" rose in someone's garden today. The one that they introduced a couple of years ago, best ever and all that. It was lilac I guess you could call it, a sort of dull dusky lilac. More blue than this peony, but not blue. Should have taken pics.

Bookmark   June 3, 2005 at 2:34PM
jackie_o(zone 5/6)

Hi Shrubs. I may be in the minority here, but I really don't even want a blue peony or a blue rose. It's unnatural and they almost always look like you said, washed out and not very pretty. I've got plenty of real blue flowers to enjoy.

Elayne it's got a bit of fragrance but nothing to write home about. I wouldn't judge it's performance in any category until maybe year three though.

Bookmark   June 3, 2005 at 2:48PM
dighappy(z7 NJ)

Jackie.....Ok, so it's not really blue...I also like the singles and it really is lovely. Any fragrance?

Bookmark   June 3, 2005 at 3:34PM
getyourleash(z7 Mid-Atl USA)

Kinda looks like Doreen to me. I have Doreen and I'm not sure I would be able to tell the difference.Still pretty. And oh, I like singles too.

Bookmark   June 3, 2005 at 8:56PM
gerry_wyomingpa(z6)

Jackie,

Mine is just blooming also, certainly NOTHING like on the package, but they are very nice. I will see if I can get a picture posted.

Gerry

Bookmark   June 5, 2005 at 10:14PM
shrubs_n_bulbs(z8/9 UK)

I think the worst tree peony I've ever seen was still pretty nice :)

Bookmark   June 6, 2005 at 6:47AM
jenny_in_se_pa(USDA7 Sunset 32)

Thanks for the update Jackie! What is ironic is that I have a little potted Camellia (C. Sassanqua 'Cleopatra') that is blooming off season right now and it looks like an identical but minature version of that peony! LOL

The 2nd flower:

The first flower:

Bookmark   June 8, 2005 at 7:17AM
gerry_wyomingpa(z6)

Sorry it took so long, here is what I got as Blue Lagoon. I like it anyway!

Gerry

Bookmark   June 9, 2005 at 1:49AM
shiao(6a Boston)

It doesnt matter how inexpensive, or how mislabelled...it's still a very attractive flower. The white and pink fading together is absolutely stunning. For the price, I would have bought enough for two whole strips of side garden bed. Enjoy this great little find! Next year I will be haunting Kmart and Loews in february. shiao

Bookmark   June 9, 2005 at 8:16AM
gardenlove(z5-6)

It's a Lavender/Blueish looking shade of pink to my eye, so perhaps its either more or less "Blue" in its tone of color depending on soil, etc...and I do agree it is a lovely flower!....I notice that both of the Blue Lagoons pictured seem quite different in color, one being more pale...so I am sure there are some variations depending on growing conditions. I figure if my Blue Lagoons bloom as nicely, I am fortunate!...and as someone else mentioned before, if I want true "Blue", I'll need to find it in other kinds of flowers. The suspense of waiting for these "mystery" varieties to bloom sure is fun:)...Take care all!...GardenLove

Bookmark   June 9, 2005 at 12:35PM
More Discussions
Springhill Kirinmaru Peony
I just received Kirinmaru Peony from Springhill. The...
KarenPA_6b
Wild Peony (Paeonia mascula) Update:
Hi, Last September I have got 20 Paeonia mascula seeds...
cumulus_nimbus
seedy advice
Scarification we've all been there. But No matter what...
bragu_DSM 5
dividing peonies
We are having a mild, dry January. Would it be a bad...
kAli6275
New to peonies and have some questions!
I'd like to add some peonies to my garden this year...
DandyLioness (CA 9, SZ 14)
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™