vertical garden picture

missinformationJuly 1, 2007

We're going to start a rain collection system this year, too, even though we're currently drowning here in north Texas. I haven't capped the vertical supports, so they used to fill with quite a bit of rain water. I drilled little holes so that they drain onto the garden, and I may rig something up so I can plug the holes and only release water as I need it.

Anyway, here it is:

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
joydveenc7(7a)

That's an interesting idea, and the uprights blend in well with the brick of your house too. I wonder if a shallow funnel shape at the top of each pipe would be decorative? It would increase the amount of water captured.

Bookmark   July 19, 2007 at 7:49PM
missinformation

I'm probably going to eventually just cap the tops with a coex end cap. If I put a line of gutter just along that one side to catch the water from that part of the roof and feed it into a barrel, it'll be enough to take care of all the gardens between rains. We have a big problem with mosquitos here, and I don't want to spend money on dunks. If it's all in a few barrels, I can just throw in some goldfish, put a screen over the top and call it done.

The gourds got too thick, so I pulled them off the vine to begin drying, and slipped the vine off by pulling the horizontal supports back through the vertical supports. 5-minute job! It's about a week from being covered with squash and cucumbers, and it already has Chinese red noodle beans hanging down all over it.

Bookmark   July 22, 2007 at 10:07AM
tclynx

You probably only need to put a screen over the top to keep mosquitoes from laying the eggs in it. Putting fish in and screening it off will probably just cause you dead fish and some nasty water to deal with in the future.

Bookmark   August 27, 2007 at 11:39AM
More Discussions
Frost Observation and Protection
During winter I tried to protect plants well with Frost...
gardenjack
Looking for advice when it comes to pursuing permaculture
Hi my name is Andrew. I graduated a few years ago with...
Kraydude
Compost Water Heated Greenhouse
Just spent a minute modifying my compost water heater...
Brian_Knight
Moringa Oleifera - Where can I find it?
Does anyone know where I can find Moringa Oleifera...
socaligarden
Tropical Swales
Hello, Anyone in the humid tropics ? Making a move...
Cdub44
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™