Sick Peonies

mary_md7June 2, 2008

My peonies (6 years old, full sun, unknown cultivar given to me by a friend) came up out of the ground as usual this year. They formed few buds and had a total of only 3 flowers. They are fairly covered with a white substance that looks like powdery mildew.

What is the appropriate thing to do? Cut them to the ground now? Spray them with fungicide?

Thanks!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
calistoga_al

It may be too advanced to help but I would spray now with Neem or Ultrafine horticultural oil. When the plant dies back in the fall I would remove all plant material to the garbage and spray the ground well with Bordeaux mix. In the spring when the growth first starts I would do the Bordeaux again. Al

Bookmark   June 3, 2008 at 9:25AM
Chemocurl zn5b/6a Indiana(zone 5/6)

Have they had more blooms than that in the 6 years they have been planted? Besides what calistoga suggested above, might they need to be lifted and planted a little more shallow?

Sue

Bookmark   June 3, 2008 at 10:32AM
mary_md7

They have had dozens of flowers in the past several years, so the appearance of only three is a major change.

If I wait til fall to cut them back, will they infect nearby plants? Would it be better to cut them back now?

Bookmark   June 4, 2008 at 6:22AM
calistoga_al

Your peony will survive if cut back now, and to prevent the spread of powdery mildew to other susceptible plants nearby that might be a good idea. Care should be taken to bag the mildewed plant material carefully to contain the spores. Now I would spray the cut back plant and the ground generously with a fungicide. Al

Bookmark   June 4, 2008 at 10:03AM
More Discussions
I'm So Bored!
Why does this winter feel SSSSOOOO LLLLOOOONNNNNGGGGGG??...
lizbest1
walmart peonies Sorbet and Emile Debatene
Found sorbet and Emile Debatene at Walmart yesterday...
raptor1
Springhill Kirinmaru Peony
I just received Kirinmaru Peony from Springhill. The...
KarenPA_6b
Ask: Is this a peony?
Hi, three weeks ago i purchased peony seeds online....
rafflesia
I bought peony seeds, now what?
I bought two different types of peony seeds-I wasn't...
polypeptide
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™