Moving Peonies

sassyaztecJune 11, 2008

I have some peonies that I will need to move in about 2 months (end of July). They are originally from Auburn, NE (my great grandmother's). This was in 05 and they are just gorgeous now. We are selling our house and they will go with me from Indiana to VA. Can I just put them in big pots and move them that way? also, we will be renting, probably for about a year, so should I just keep them potted or plant them temporarily?

I really don't know much about growing them, they have been super easy for me and I just love having them.

Thanks in advance for any help!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Chemocurl zn5b/6a Indiana(zone 5/6)

I would think they would be fine left in containers.

I bought some this season, in containers, and may just plunge the whole pot into a temporary spot, if I don't get a permanent spot prepared for them this season.

All of a sudden I have too many peonies it seems...or is that even possible?

Sue

Bookmark   June 13, 2008 at 11:38PM
terrycinor(7)

Your peonies will be just fine, although mid-summer isn't the best time to move them, I had to do that too. Just dig as big of root ball that you can and put them in large pots, and keep them well watered. Mine have been in pots for a little over 2 years and they bloomed happily this year. We, too, are renting and my peonies are going to stay in pots until we finally buy a place.

Bookmark   June 17, 2008 at 11:14AM
ccrdmrbks

I think the important thing is, as terry says, to have as big a root ball as possible-the more of their "home soil" you can take along, the better. Also, if they are going to be moved in the back of a truck or something where they are exposed to the air, wrap the whole plant and pot in an old sheet or something to protect from the wind-but not plastic. Keep them shaded and well watered and they should do fine.

Bookmark   June 24, 2008 at 12:27PM
More Discussions
Peonie won't bloom
My mom dug up an old white peonie at an old home site...
Derby42 zone 6
walmart peonies Sorbet and Emile Debatene
Found sorbet and Emile Debatene at Walmart yesterday...
raptor1
I'm So Bored!
Why does this winter feel SSSSOOOO LLLLOOOONNNNNGGGGGG??...
lizbest1
Need Help With Timing of Putting Potted Peonies Outside
I've been nursing three potted peonies begun as roots...
JenWise
My one peony
We had an unusual hard freeze early last fall here...
bouldergrower
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™