What happens if I put grass clippings all over my backyard?

hocasati(Willamette Valley Z6)July 31, 2003

I want to kill the grass so I can build a flower bed in my townhouse backyard. I spread the green, yellow stuff all over the backyard and now it smells like a farm.

Have you ever done this before?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
mkirkwag(Puget Sound)

Well, I've used it as mulch in the garden...moderately effective against weeds, so I suppose it's the same thing. Becomes less aesthetically pleasing as time passes, however.

Bookmark   August 1, 2003 at 1:58PM
dan_denise(z5b,6a MO)

Hocasati,
I would rake up the grass clippings and set aside in a compost pile. They will be good for mulch in your beds later. To kill the grass, try laying down a sheet of black plastic. Weight down the edges so it wont blow away. Very effective and quick. Get it at any hardware store.
Best of luck.
Dan

Bookmark   August 11, 2003 at 4:08PM
ladyaustins(NSW Aust)

I made a couple of garden beds where I had lawn, by spreading disassembled cardboard boxes on the lawn, wetting them down, then placing a layer of compost then mulch on top of them (you could use your grass clippings as mulch). I waited a month then dug holes and put plants in.Pretty much an instant garden bed and a great no dig garden.The worms love it too.Its been many months now and the plants are very happy. I just give them an occasional dressing of compost and mulch.

Bookmark   August 16, 2003 at 3:46AM
seraphima(z4 AK)

Get the book "Lasagna Gardening" from your library or buy it for your personal library. Lots of great ideas for sheet composting large areas. The grass will come in handy for the sheet compost, but it needs other ingredients to acheive your goal for the back yard.

Bookmark   August 25, 2003 at 7:15PM
More Discussions
Raised bed HugelKulture?
Hi all! I'm still reading, so this might have been...
CEFreeman
suburban yard - several species in small area
in this pic in my backyard i have papaya, passionflower,...
greenman62
Grapes in trees
I've been asking this in some of the other forums,...
tjasko
Urban permaculture home for sale - Portland, OR
Have worked to make the yard around our beautiful home...
PDXbrian
I signed up for online permaculture course with Geoff Lawton
So, after coming to the conclusion that I probably...
herbal
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™