My friend the king snake

helenh(z6 SW MO)June 6, 2012

I am not afraid of small snakes so this was interesting and exciting to me.

Click to enlarge

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
mulberryknob

Cool. I once saw a king snake in that position but it was a copperhead disappearing down its throat. I saw a small scarlet king snake here a month ago, but it isn't big enough to take on our 3 ft garter snake. I wouldn't feel too badly if a king snake took out that garter snake; I'm tired of it eating the leopard frogs.

Bookmark   June 6, 2012 at 9:31PM
Lisa_H(7)

Ewwwww. What kind of snake is he eating?

Lisa

Bookmark   June 6, 2012 at 10:33PM
macmex

That's a garter snake he's eating.

George

Bookmark   June 7, 2012 at 6:20AM
Lisa_H(7)

That's a garter snake? I always picture them as little things. They must get bigger than I think or I don't have a great sense of the size :)

Lisa

Bookmark   June 7, 2012 at 10:33AM
Okiedawn OK Zone 7

Lisa,

Garter snakes can get surprisingly long---I'd guess some of them might reach 4' or slightly longer.

I'll go and find the OK Snake website and link it below. It has images and descriptions of snakes known to be found somewhere in OK. If you click on the photo or name of snake, it will pull up the description, including length, for you.

Dawn

Here is a link that might be useful: OK Snakes

Bookmark   June 7, 2012 at 10:52AM
mulberryknob

The garter snake in my garden has grown from 18" to 3 ft over the last 3 summers...eating leopard frogs and toads. He didn't show himself once while we had 5 boys on the place with instructions to catch it if they saw it.

Bookmark   June 7, 2012 at 11:01AM
mulberryknob

Helen, how long is that king snake?

Bookmark   June 7, 2012 at 11:16AM
helenh(z6 SW MO)

That is rotten railroad tie in the above picture that they were under. I only saw the writhing garter snake's tail before I turned over the tie. I have rotten ties because I can't lift the sound ones. I am thinking of removing them from my yard because last time it was baby rats inside a different rotten tie. I am not good at estimating but maybe 3 feet. They weren't large snakes. I am hoping it will eat the small copperheads before they grow up.

I think this is the same guy in March. You can compare his girth to the soaker hose which is what I thought he was before he moved.

Bookmark   June 7, 2012 at 12:39PM
wayne_mo(MO)

Fantastic picture! Very neat! It's a Speckled Kingsnake eating a Western Ribbon Snake. The Ribbon Snake is in the same family as the Garter Snake and looks very similar. The two kinds of snakes are difficult to tell apart but the orange middorsal stripe on this one and the particular patterning between the stripes indicate Ribbon Snake.

Great picture and now we know why they are the "king" snakes :-).

Bookmark   June 20, 2012 at 9:07PM
More Discussions
milky spore
I've been reading if you get rid of grubs you won't...
sorie6
Question on my potatoes
I planted the first week of April. They're strong and...
chickencoupe
Row cover - best brand, where to order?
Hi everyone, I want to order some row cover. I want...
canokie
Can I plant onions yet?
I put in an 8x8 raised bed for onions, bought in some...
rickintulsa
I did it!
I made sammich bread !! I know it's not garden related,...
chickencoupe
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™