single flowered peonies

amocJune 26, 2007

Lately I seem to love mostly single flowered peonies. I have a Crinkled White that has bloomed marvelously this year - many flowers on each stem, flowers seem like they are floating on air... and best of all, no support needed.

This spring I also bought a single white tree peony called "Phoenix White" - I saw a mature one in a local garden and it was breathtaking!

And I have two more of the fernleaf peony - also single flowered - and I love them!

I am now looking for a few more peonies for the fall - and mostly single flowered ones appeal to me. Is this a phase? Anyone else? Any favorite single flowered peonies? Any with unusual colors? I must have them all!

Anda

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Chemocurl zn5b/6a Indiana(zone 5/6)

Anda,

I'm not very familiar with the singles, as I am a fairly new collector.

I do' know I have 2 plants of 'Lavender Lady' (Walmart years ago) and they are certainly not lavender, and far from a favorite of mine.

I hope/plan to shovel prune (divide and share) one of them later in the season. Might you be interested in a root?

FYI, there is no way to email you via GW.

I can keep you in mind if and when I get it dug sometime later. Please bear in mind, I always have a lot more that I want/plan/need to do, than what actually gets done each season.

Sue

Bookmark   June 30, 2007 at 9:18AM
hemnancy(z8 PNW)

I have only doubles and they tend to flop, especially the big bomb pink kind. They also have atrocious foliage covered with brown spots after blooming. I'm also getting interested in singles. The John Scheepers catalog has some at really good prices, I'm thinking about some of the reds, but can't decide which. I'd really like them to keep nice foliage after blooming. I hope the brown spots are not a disease that would spread to any new peonies I might get.

Bookmark   August 3, 2007 at 4:46AM
peony_garden

Anda.

Visit www.thepeonystore.com - they have a good selection of peonies.

Bookmark   August 4, 2007 at 10:50PM
maifleur01

Try some of the species ones. Most are singles. My favorite is P. japonica. It sends up a stem like a tree the branches. If the season is good and you get a flower it will be very delicate looking. Let it go to seed. When the pod opens the inside of the pod will be a lovely color.
Two I have had for several years are orange and steel gray. My newest was reddish. Try getting your species from different sources if you can. Although I am laughed at I firmly believe that different minerals and bacteria in soils cause small mutations over time.

Bookmark   August 5, 2007 at 9:13PM
hemnancy(z8 PNW)

What is your favorite red single? Some I'm looking at are Early Scout, Miss Mary, and Blaze- has anyone grown these and how floriferous are they? Do they keep their foliage nice after blooming?

Bookmark   August 8, 2007 at 4:23PM
More Discussions
light requirements for Sorbet Peonies
Just ordered 4 from Michigan Bulb and the planting...
420benz
Double Pink Fernleaf
I have seen the most beautiful pink double fernleaf,...
KarenPA_6b
Peony Molly the Witch
Hello - I planted a super root 2 years ago. Last year...
furbank
dividing peonies
We are having a mild, dry January. Would it be a bad...
kAli6275
Herbacious peony growing with tree peony
I have a tree peony in my garden that is 4/5 yrs old...
raptor1
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™