Cactus Style Peony Blooms, Berry Garcia Tomorrow!

lizbest1(5)June 14, 2013

Here's a couple of unusual blooms, I think I'm going to like them. 1st year blooming for both, hopefully they're larger next year (probably only 3-4 inches across each). This one is Pink Spritzer...

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
lizbest1(5)

And here's Raspberry Rumba....

Bookmark   June 14, 2013 at 10:57PM
lizbest1(5)

Not a cactus/fancy single but pretty. I like the pic with the bud and open flower together, goes from the soft pink to white in a single day. This is one of the faded tag plants that I need to id, any ideas? It's obviously a single, has side buds and the open flower is appx 6-7 inches across.

My Berry Garcia Itoh has started to open, only 1 single bud this year. I'll post a pic of it tomorrow when it's completely open, hopefully it'll be worth the 3 year wait!

Bookmark   June 14, 2013 at 11:02PM
Nancy zone 6

Lovely! I really like Raspberry Rumba

Bookmark   June 15, 2013 at 7:46AM
KarenPA_6b

Me too. I think the Raspberry Rumba is absolutely gorgeous. Do all blooms look that nice for RR?

Bookmark   June 15, 2013 at 12:44PM
lizbest1(5)

Thanks! I actually like it better than the Pink Spritzer, too, and I thought it'd be exactly the opposite when I bought them! This is it's 2nd spring in my garden and the first year it flowered. It's a fairly small plant so far, only 5 blooms but they all have the same shape, slightly different veining but all just as pretty. I'm hoping the flowers increase in size a bit as the shrub matures, though--they're somewhat on the smaller size. If they were a couple of inches larger it would be truly impressive. It's completely dark here, I'll try to take a picture of the entire shrub and post it later with the Berry Garcia. It was cloudy and a bit cooler (nice change!) here today and BG never completely opened, maybe tomorrow.

Bookmark   June 15, 2013 at 11:57PM
Normelly(5a)

I have a mature Raspberry Rhumba, and I think it is a great plant. The blooms do all look like that. While they are on the smaller size, it is very floriferous, so the plant is just covered with blooms, and the overall effect is great. Lots of side buds, so there is a long bloom period. The floweres are well held above the foliage, no need for staking, and the plant habit is very good. A great scent too, from what I remember. Mine is just about to start blooming. I'll try to remember to post photos once it is in full swing.

Bookmark   June 16, 2013 at 7:52AM
lizbest1(5)

Found another cactus style that I thought had died out! Here's Circus Circus. Pretty much the same as Raspberry Rumba but overall petals are light pink instead of white. This one only had 2 buds and is trapped in a mire of wild roses, will have to rescue it in the fall.

Bookmark   June 17, 2013 at 11:04PM
lizbest1(5)

This is the 3rd day I've tried to catch Berry Garcia open, seems to be quite shy. I'm afraid all of the petals are going to fall off before I see the flower actually open!

Bookmark   June 17, 2013 at 11:06PM
lizbest1(5)

And the last of my Itohs that bloomed this year--Strawberry Blonde. When I saw the bloom I thought I had another Singing in the Rain because the colors were so similar. Then I realized this one just opened a very similar yellow to that of the older Singing bloom, Singing opened much more orangey pink. It'll be interesting to see what this one fades to.

Bookmark   June 17, 2013 at 11:10PM
KarenPA_6b

Liz, your peonies are wonderful! I love the last one the best. Your Berry Garcia looks a lot like Pastel Splendor and your Strawberry Blond looks a lot like Mikasa.

Bookmark   June 18, 2013 at 9:56AM
lizbest1(5)

Thank you kousa! Aren't peonies the best? As soon as they stop blooming I'm ready for fall to plant more, and after fall I'm anxiously waiting for spring to see which ones bloom....
The Berry Garcia never did open up so that I could take a pic of the entire bloom. We had a short, fairly hard rain storm today and it's petals had fallen off when the rain was over. Strawberry Blonde and Singing in the Rain are still going strong, though. BG only had one bud this year, maybe as it gets bigger with more blooms they will open completely.
Here's the pic of the Raspberry Rumba shrub. This is the 2nd year it bloomed, only 1 bud last year, 6 this year and it's much bigger.

Bookmark   June 19, 2013 at 12:31AM
Nancy zone 6

They are all so pretty!

Bookmark   June 20, 2013 at 7:12AM
Normelly(5a)

Here is a photo of my Raspberry Rumba. It has been a very wet spring - it usually even more floriferous. It's a great plant. As you can see, even after lots of rain, the flowers are very well held.

Bookmark   June 27, 2013 at 9:49PM
lizbest1(5)

Beautiful Normelly! How many years has your Raspberry Rumba been in place? I've divided/moved a bunch of peonies in the last few years while adding hardscape and creating new gardens, I have only a few peonies the size of those in your pic...
Kousa, I think I actually like the Strawberry Blonde the best of the 3 Itohs that bloomed this year. It ended up a fairly full semi-double and looked good for a quite a while considering the crazy winds we have out here....
Liz

Bookmark   June 27, 2013 at 10:01PM
Normelly(5a)

Thanks. It's 10 years old, but it has been that size for a few years now.

Bookmark   June 28, 2013 at 7:32AM
KarenPA_6b

OMG, that is a gorgeous bush of RR. I have fallen in love with it since Liz posted her beautiful photos of RR. Just Wow!

Bookmark   June 28, 2013 at 10:40AM
lizbest1(5)

Normelly, I think your RR looks even better with the other dark red behind it, makes the lighter bloom stand out. All of my blooms are gone for the season now, pretty poor show spring for peonies here. But I'm really looking forward to receiving new bareroots in fall and anxiously waiting to see what blooms next spring!

Bookmark   June 30, 2013 at 11:27PM
More Discussions
Ask: Is this a peony?
Hi, three weeks ago i purchased peony seeds online....
rafflesia
Peony sorbet and karl
I recently got some sorbet and karl rosenfield, i've...
kaesgarden
Desperate for Peonies in Texas
I would like to add peonies to my Central Texas garden,...
vuwugarden
Adelman's Itoh Offerings for 2015
Has anyone seen Adelman's new peony catalog yet? They...
lizbest1
Tree Peonies from Songsparrow
Well I just placed an order to Songsparrow Nursery...
peonyman
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™