Need Help identifying a potential problem

winsorw(8)April 18, 2010

Hi,

I just got a mediterranean palm and transplated it into a big pot. I didn't noticed this before but there seems to be something greyish along the petioles. What is it? Is it some kind of disease or fungus?

http://www.flickr.com/photos/winsorw-garden/

I would appreciate any help and suggestions.

Thanks.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
tropicalzone7(7b)

I dont think its a problem, it could just be part of the plant, but Im not 100% sure. I would hose it down really well to get rid of the possible problem and give it some fertilizer so that way at least its healthy enough to grow well so that way if it is a problem, you have more time to save your palm.

Good luck!

Bookmark   April 18, 2010 at 12:52PM
Las_Palmas_Norte(Zone8)

I've grown many of these and yes it's a part of the natural growth habit.
Glaucous (GLAHK-us) is the correct term meaning covered in whitish or bluish bloom or waxy, powdery substance that can in some cases be rubbed off.

Cheers, las palmas norte.

Bookmark   April 18, 2010 at 2:06PM
winsorw(8)

Thank you both of you for quick answers. I hope it's natural but I have some doubts though because I have another one with much less of this thing which I thought because there is less infestation.

One person I talked to suggested that it could be mealy bugs. The 'glaucous' on my plant came off as puffy dust, but I didn't see any bugs inside. However there are some scaly things on some leaves.
If they are mealy bugs, what should I do? I sprayed the plants with insecticidal soap already. Will systemic insecticide work on palm trees?

Thank you again for any help.

Bookmark   April 18, 2010 at 2:28PM
Las_Palmas_Norte(Zone8)

Your concerns are valid, although the photo doesn't show mealy bug. A systemic should work but perhaps poke around first to see if you can discover them.
As a side note, the glaucous amounts very considerably on these palms, and some have none at all.

Cheers.

Bookmark   April 19, 2010 at 1:10PM
brooklyngreg(7a NYC coastal plain)

For someone on this site to recognize it and say its fine should really relieve your concerns. Your may have more of this substance because your palm is healthier. Rememeber not to over water this palm.

PS. If you really are concerned isolate the palm from your tropicals until your sude.

Bookmark   April 19, 2010 at 1:24PM
winsorw(8)

Thank you las_palmas_norte. Knowing that the amount varies is a relief. I will poke around some more:-)
Thanks again.

Bookmark   April 20, 2010 at 8:39AM
More Discussions
Mexican Fan Palm Tree - Fronds Turning Yellow/Brown
Hi everyone, I live north of Dallas, TX and have a...
RedRayderz01
butia planting question in 6b
I'm expecting my butia delivery on march 21st to plymouth...
finn6b
Unknown palm acquisition
A guy in my neighborhood recently moved and left many...
Michael AKA Leekle2ManE - Zone 9a - Lady Lake, F
Needle Palm Spearpull
I planted a needle palm last year and it overwintered...
i_like_pi
King palm fronds turning brown
I planted 3 big king palm trees ,fronds started turning...
callecovina
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™