Freckled Child Tomatoes

piscesfish(6)June 7, 2011

Hi everyone,

Lynn brought these great tomatoes to the swap this year, but my plant hasn't set a single fruit. It might just be my weather/ growing conditions. How is everyone else's Freckled Children doing?

Kelly

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
shankins123(7aOKC)

Mine has not bloomed...and it was the first one to get the dreaded spider mites...so, I've insecticidal-soaped it and I'm hoping for the best!

Sharon

Bookmark   June 7, 2011 at 10:37PM
greenacreslady(7)

It has a few blooms but that's it, no fruit set yet. But so far the only fruit set on my tomatoes has been on Mountain Magic, Green Zebra, Sweet 100, and Sun Sugar. It kept wilting until I got it in the ground and I was worried it wouldn't make it, but once it recovered it has done fine.

Suzie

Bookmark   June 7, 2011 at 11:16PM
Okiedawn OK Zone 7

Mine is about 4' tall and has a handful of blooms on it, but none of them have set fruit yet and it appears this plant has heat-induced blossom drop.

Most of my tomato plants have set fruit, but none of the last batch (which includes Freckled Child), which were planted a day or two after the Spring Fling, have set fruit yet. It got so hot so early that the late-planted batch may struggle with blossom drop whereas the plants that went into the ground earlier were blooming and setting fruit before the current heat wave arrived. Those earlier plants are not setting a lot of fruit right now either, but at least they do have the fruit that set earlier.

Having early July type temperatures arrive in late May and early June are just about a worst case scenario for tomato plants. Even in a normal year, tomato plants are racing the high temps---hopefully managing to get good fruit set before the temperatures reach the danger zone. When the heat arrives early, we have to hope for an occasional cool break in the temps so that fruit can set during those times.

Dawn

Bookmark   June 8, 2011 at 10:38AM
sassybutterfly_2008(7 NorthWest GA)

I have been looking for a source for the Tomato 'Freckled Child' and I was hoping someone could help me find somewhere to buy or trade for some?

Thanks!
~Wendy

Bookmark   October 18, 2011 at 4:06PM
More Discussions
IT IS PLANTING TIME
Onions and corn are in the ground. potatoes cut I am...
oldokie
Lettuce and spinach
Is it to late to plant spinach and lettuce? It was...
chadwickthegoat
My Onions Are IN, now about snakes...
Thank you, Ms Dawn. Sorry for the late reply to your...
luvabasil1
Bad weather
Nasty weather out there, be safe.
AmyinOwasso/zone 6b
check in, all ok? sure was windy and lots of hail
All quiet here now, near NW 14 and Villa. Sure hope,...
OklaMoni
Sponsored Products
Britax Advocate G4 Convertible Car Seat - Broadway Multicolor - E9LP54R
$254.98 | Hayneedle
Schoolhouse Short Vertical Bookcase - Pecan - 6565
$269.99 | Hayneedle
Modern Brushed Nickel Adjustable Curtain Rod Set with Spear Prism Glass Finial
Overstock.com
Courtly Check Cereal Bowl
$38.00 | Horchow
Guest Towel Holder
$75.00 | Horchow