Propagating Wild Edible Mushrooms

seraphima(z4 AK)October 26, 2007

In our efforts to develop our permaculture homestead, we have stumbled across the ease of growing mushrooms. Every fall we harvest wild angel wings here- so easy to recognize, so tasty.

As I clean the mushrooms with a damp cloth before air drying them or cooking them right up, I put all the cleaned bits, slug-eaten corners, etc. into a bowl, and then take them out and toss them on suitable old logs and stumps, and even on two heaps of old rotting rough-cut lumber under some shading salmonberries. Over the course of three years, we have introduced these mushrooms into our (suitable and native)habitat, and now each fall they are abundant.

I read an excellent book, called Animal, Vegetable, Miracle wherein the author told about picking morels in the spring. She said to always carry the picked mushrooms in a string bag to scatter the spore through out the forest. I have started gathering all mushrooms in baskets, which accomplishes much the same.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
rosebush(z7 NC)

I know this is an old post. . .Great tip, good book. Does anyone know if it works with chanterelles? I found a nice patch of them and have been picking them for several years. Have saved the extra bits and scattered them, but this year there were no mushrooms due to the extreme drought. :( Hoping they come back next summer.

Bookmark   December 5, 2007 at 3:33PM
Belgianpup(Wa/Zone 7b)

Here is some information on maintaining a wild mushroom habitat, and it looks like it has some good ideas.

Sue

Here is a link that might be useful: Wild mushroom habitat

Bookmark   December 8, 2007 at 12:34AM
rosebush(z7 NC)

Thanks, Belgianpup, for the great tips!

Bookmark   December 18, 2007 at 4:32PM
More Discussions
Urban permaculture home for sale - Portland, OR
Have worked to make the yard around our beautiful home...
PDXbrian
Setting up water cistern for local school-need help!
Hi, My son is trying to set up a water cistern as his...
henrodstone
Compost Water Heated Greenhouse
Just spent a minute modifying my compost water heater...
Brian_Knight
Permaculture in structural pest control
Hi! I'm Sean. I operate Ecological Pest Management...
EcologicalPest
Florida Permaculture Design Course 2015
March 16-27, 2015 At Kashi Ashram, 11155 Roseland Road,...
sustainablekashi
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™