Vegetables that like their stems buried

kjggames(z9/10, sunset16)October 7, 2008

Hey there all you happy people,

I am trying to come up with a list of vegetables that like to have their stems buried, like tomatoes and potatoes. The plan is to build up my soil over a long period of time, while at the same time doing a modified french intensive style garden. So, while the plants are growing, I plan to add more soil, and plants, and soil, and plants, and so on. This way, I build up my soil, while at the same time making a productive plot.

I plan on starting with potatoes in the cooler season, and as they grow, bury the stems, which encourages tuber development. Then as the season gets warmer, add tomatoes, as they grow, bury their stems, which encourages root development for the tomatoes, while encouraging more tuber growth for the potatoes, etc.

So, I am looking for other vegetables that can be grown in this environment. Celery comes to mind.

Any other suggestions?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Belgianpup(Wa/Zone 7b)

Asparagus
Leeks

Bookmark   October 14, 2008 at 6:00PM
brendan_of_bonsai(4b AK)

tomatoes and potatoes are almost identical from a companion planting stand point, you can actually graft the two plants together and get both crops off one plant (with drastically reduced efficiency) so you can't really get away with planting them on top of each other any more than you could planting a potato on top of a potato.

Bookmark   October 17, 2008 at 3:47AM
marshallz10(z9-10 CA)

All the brassicas can be planted deeply or be hilled. Peas and viney squash will root along buried stems. The general rule of thumb is annual plants have growth points toward the end of growth can often tolerate burial. Those with growth points at or near the surface, such as rosette-formed plants cannot be buried: beets, carrots, strawberries, lettuce

With potatoes, you should bury stems because tubers are set above the original tuber along new stems. I would never plant in succession plants of the same plant family sharing the same pests and diseases.

Bookmark   December 6, 2008 at 2:52PM
john_bonzo

I plant eggplants deep, the same way as tomatoes.

Bookmark   December 30, 2008 at 5:07PM
More Discussions
to pull out or not bidens?
I been pulling these every year but if it will get...
danell123
Homemade Mycorrhizae
Has anyone made their own homemade Mycorrhizae soil...
BeeKind12
Urban permaculture home for sale - Portland, OR
Have worked to make the yard around our beautiful home...
PDXbrian
Frost Observation and Protection
During winter I tried to protect plants well with Frost...
gardenjack
making my first swale
Hi,people! I think the best solution to my erosion/run-off...
bart_2010
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™