chinese herbaceous peonies-newbie question

margloJuly 4, 2013

I am starting a cutting garden with 5 peonies. I find myself drawn to the chinese plants (eg at Cricket Hill or PeonysEnvy). Is there any down side to going with the Chinese varieties, instead of American hybrids?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
lizbest1(5)

I don't have any Chinese peonies, looked at both of the companies you mentioned, they looked pretty. I did a search here on the peony forum of older strings, a lot of the Chinese peonies got fairly poor reviews. Do you know of anyone growing them in gardens in your area? I think I'd go by advice of people growing them in like climates. Are there specific named plants that you're most interested in? Maybe you can do a search on those specific names, I think a fair number were mentioned by name in some posts here.

Bookmark   July 8, 2013 at 11:50PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
AmberAnderson

Hi Marglo!

I would love to help you out with this...Peonies originated from China and Japan and the most common type of peony is Actually a Chinese peony although it is not named as such anymore. Peony's Envy does a terrific job of using the Chinese names of peonies that also have English names...So, for example, one farm may have the same peony with an English name instead of the Chinese name.

To help you out a bit...there are some important characterizations between peonies and I would like to show you this link: http://purepeonies.com/pages/about-our-peonies

We are a new farm, similar to Peony's Envy (although we grow our flowers chemical free).

On that page you'll see that there are 3 different kinds of plant/bush types (Herbaceous (common), Tree (much less common) and ITOH (a hybrid between the two...

Then there are 5 types of blooms: one of them being a Japanese bloom which is a really different type of peony (the rest are double, semi-double, single, and 'bombs')

The Japanese peonies are also known as the 'Imperial Peonies'.

Chinese (or Common) Peonies can be Herbaceous, Tree, ITOH etc.

Herbaceous need the most amount of sun and tree/itohs can tolerate more diverse weather (shade).

Please sign up for our news letter as we detail often planting instructions for beds and have frequent sales!

http://www.purepeonies.com

Here is a link that might be useful: Pure Peonies

Bookmark   July 12, 2013 at 5:37AM
More Discussions
Tree Peonies from Songsparrow
Well I just placed an order to Songsparrow Nursery...
peonyman
Peony Help, Please
Just noticed today that my Peony has clear looking...
noribnori
I'm So Bored!
Why does this winter feel SSSSOOOO LLLLOOOONNNNNGGGGGG??...
lizbest1
Peony sorbet and karl
I recently got some sorbet and karl rosenfield, i've...
kaesgarden
Peony pinching or deadheading
I picked up a peony in a planting pot that had about...
purslanegarden
Sponsored Products
Possini Euro Xane Bronze Dark Sky 11" Wide Wall Sconce
Euro Style Lighting
UMA Enterprises Iron Garden Bench - Birds and Leaves - 35379
$480.00 | Hayneedle
AICO Furniture - After Eight Queen Upholstered in Titanium -...
Great Furniture Deal
Crisscross Link Black Outdoor Pillow
$109.00 | FRONTGATE
AICO Furniture - Biscayne West Dresser with Wall Mirror In Haze -...
Great Furniture Deal
Area Rug: Antique Ferns Ivory 8' 6" x 11' 6"
Home Depot
C and F Enterprises Nantucket Dream Quilt - L89193.6886
$118.99 | Hayneedle
Chinese Blue & White Pedestal Dish
The City Farm
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™