Permies in SoCal

yukkuri_kame(Sunset 19 / USDA 9)October 27, 2011

Looking to connect with other permies in Los Angeles and SoCal. I am new to the area, now living up in Tujunga/Sunland at 1800ft in the foothills.

Would love to visit established permie gardens in the area, maybe trade some seeds, cuttings - I don't have a lot yet, but some stuff already established at the new place. Happy to get hands dirty if you have an interesting project going on.

All the best,

YK

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
daveg(z9 CA)

Congratulations and good luck, YK. I am also a novice at permaculture, but am very inspired. I live in Aguanga (about 60 miles from you). It is at 4000' and in the Anza Valley. I live just north of the San Diego County line and between Temecula and Palm Desert. There are a lot of challenges here as I am sure you have as well.

I used to live in Escondido where I had a small avocado grove. It was not at all profitable, so I created a large garden for blind children. It was fun and easy. Growing in San Diego is very simple. Plant, water, and watch.

Alas, it is not simple here. I live on 40 acres that is probably totally virgin land. I designed and built my house. That in itself was a challenge. The government of Riverside County is mostly made up of jerks who are the complete opposite of helpful.

Now, I am concentrating on the land. Like you, I have to fight the lack of water and the difficult soil.

Let me share with you what I have done/learned so far. I compost everything I can get my hands on. I build the piles more or less in place and just rake them into the soil. I also do worm composting and have 2 bins in my garage. As water is scarce, I have been digging swales. Mine are about 2 feet wide and 2 feet deep. I fill them with straw to hold the water. In winter, I dig them out and use the, now rotted, straw as mulch.

I have found that moth balls, garlic and hot pepper seem to keep away the deer and rabbits. I try pepper, garlic, and organic repellent for the gophers. But, frankly, there are days when I am tempted to use napalm. They are that bad. I am searching for a gopher snake supplier as well.

If we learn from our mistakes, I am probably approaching genius level. I have learned to work in small areas at a time. I also realize the seeds, cuttings, and small plants save money and aren't so heartbreaking to loose. That said, I still buy larger trees now and then just to get the instant gratification..

Anyhow, that's enough for now. Good luck and I hope we can continue to communicate

Bookmark   November 27, 2011 at 7:18PM
More Discussions
PDC Through the Heart Oct 2015 in Bali
Experiencing Permaculture through the heart presents...
Jiwa Damai
Moringa Oleifera - Where can I find it?
Does anyone know where I can find Moringa Oleifera...
socaligarden
Frost Observation and Protection
During winter I tried to protect plants well with Frost...
gardenjack
Permaculture in structural pest control
Hi! I'm Sean. I operate Ecological Pest Management...
EcologicalPest
Raised bed HugelKulture?
Hi all! I'm still reading, so this might have been...
CEFreeman
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™