Alternative Rain Water Collection

ecedrNovember 7, 2010

In our community garden we have no access to downspouts for rain water collections. Any ideas for other sources of collection?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Belgianpup(Wa/Zone 7b)

If you have a fence, a sheet of plastic and some 5-gallons buckets or clean garbage cans, cut the sheet of plastic into lengths about 1.5 times as wide as your container. You will have to see what the length should be when you put it together. Clothespin the short edge securely along the top of the fence, draw the rest of the piece out at an angle (to catch the water), set the 'tail' of the plastic in the bucket, and set a large, smooth rock on the end of the tail to hold it down (otherwise, the wind will blow it out).

While more horizontal plastic will catch the most rain, it will also tend to catch it and hold it, sagging between the fence and the bucket. You will need to experiment just how long and at what angle is best.

Otherwise, if there is a shed or building nearby, see where the water pours off the roof and put a garbage can under it.

If you do have some kind of structure, contact a local guttering company and explain the problem. Not only do they install new gutters, they have to remove and discard all the old guttering. Maybe they can pick out a few decent pieces and you can install them.

Sue

Bookmark   November 9, 2010 at 7:08PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Abundant_Earth(9)

I'd check out Brad Lancaster's Rainwater Harvesting for Drylands and Beyond, Volume 2, Rainwater Harvesting Earthworks. It talks about how to store the rain in the ground, with no needed cistern tanks, tubing or collection surface, other than the ground. The book has lots of variations on the theme depending on your particular situation. Brad's website itself has a lot of information.
Though I haven't read them, there are several books out there on rain gardens with probably similar ideas.

Here is a link that might be useful: Harvesting Rainwater Website

Bookmark   January 4, 2011 at 8:45PM
More Discussions
to pull out or not bidens?
I been pulling these every year but if it will get...
danell123
Tropical Swales
Hello, Anyone in the humid tropics ? Making a move...
Cdub44
Moringa Oleifera - Where can I find it?
Does anyone know where I can find Moringa Oleifera...
socaligarden
Compost Water Heated Greenhouse
Just spent a minute modifying my compost water heater...
Brian_Knight
Frost Observation and Protection
During winter I tried to protect plants well with Frost...
gardenjack
Sponsored Products
Feiss Market Square 14" High Outdoor Wall Light
Lamps Plus
Logan Oil Rubbed Bronze Five Light Single-Tier Chandelier with Frosted Glass Sha
$123.00 | Bellacor
Gold Bag Outdoor Wall Art
Grandin Road
Access Aqueous 21 1/10" High Brushed Steel LED Wall Light
Euro Style Lighting
Tube 5040 Wall Sconce by George Kovacs
$118.00 | Lumens
Rachael Ray Serveware EVOO and Vinegar Bottles - Red Multicolor - 53253
$29.99 | Hayneedle
66" x 106" Oblong Cloth
$146.90 | Horchow
Sonneman | Candela 5 Light Tapered Pendant Light