red and black bugs?!?!?!!?

awat72(OK)June 16, 2005

My yard and patio has been taken over by bugs that are red as young, and turn black with red stripe when mature. I cannot identify the bug, and don't know if it is beneficial or not. My guineas won't eat them, and I hate the idea of using DE or poison, but I can't kill them with my shoe fast enough. Any suggestions or identification will help.

One of my friends said she heard the forresetry depratment released similar described bugs to eat something in the river, but I kayaked this evening, and didn't see a one in the river.

AMy

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Giggi(z7OKC)

Are they box elder bugs? There was something about them on television the other day. Call your county extension office to be sure because if they are box elders you need to get rid of them before they lay eggs and start again.

Bookmark   June 17, 2005 at 12:19PM
rjj1(Norman OK Zone7)

Amy

A little better description of the insect might help. What are they doing? Are they on specific things or just overwhelming the landscape? Mating perhaps?

randy

Bookmark   June 17, 2005 at 12:56PM
susanlynne48(OKC7a)

Could it be the milkweed bug? I had them last year, but they didn't do much damage to my milkweed. It died all on its little own.

Susan

Bookmark   June 17, 2005 at 8:12PM
newgardeningnurse(z6b/7a_Tulsa)

YES! I'm being overrun with this little buggers myself! They are almost diamond shaped and the adults FLY when bothered. They live in the mulch. I have thousands of them. I'm going to go look up Box Elder bugs and see if that's them. I have no idea if they are harming plants. I never seem to catch them on any plants, just in the mulch. I swear, it looks like the ground is moving there is so many of them!
Sheryl

Bookmark   June 18, 2005 at 11:05AM
newgardeningnurse(z6b/7a_Tulsa)

I just googled Box Elder Bugs, and Yep. That's them. Everything I read says that they don't do damage to plants. Soap and water apparently works on them. I'm going to go experiment!

Bookmark   June 18, 2005 at 11:15AM
OKC1(OK)

I've not had boxelder bugs, but apparenlty some plants, like cedar trees and golden chain trees, attract them to your yard. Which is why I wouldn't plant either very close to the house. You might want to look them up and see what attracts them. I don't think it's the mulch, since I've never had them and have been using cedar mulch for years.
But who knows. Google and find out.

Bookmark   June 18, 2005 at 11:46AM
kristinlaura_mac_com

They are living in my mulch in mega quantities and they are destroying all of the hostas! I have never had as many as I do this year.

Bookmark   June 19, 2011 at 4:27PM
montanasunrise_comcast_net

I do as well! They are over running my yard, especially in the mulch areas. I sprayed them with a recommended insecticide from Home Depot but they have returned in massive quantities!

Bookmark   July 12, 2011 at 5:02PM
More Discussions
Intercropping Tomatoes
with Sweet corn? Is it doable? with so many tomato...
chickencoupe
Gogi berry bush
3 years ago I was gifted a tiny gogi berry plant. ...
c1nicolei
How can I add photos to my posts?
I know many of you do this....I have tried to find...
merryheart
tornados
I am so freakin sick of tornados!
Amanda Odom
Looking for something pretty that will tolerate full sun but wet feet
I have an odd bed in the front yard (our house faces...
wulfletons
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™