How close can I plant these 2 palms?

theseventhlegendApril 17, 2010

I would like to know how close I can plant a Sago Palm next to a Queen Palm? I need to transplant a good sized Sago (10" across the trunk, 3 1/2 ft tall) but to place it next to my Queen Palm will be squeezing into a bordered garden. (I might have to abandon this idea) The Queen Palm is small (4" across the trunk, 4ft tall). I'm aware of the mature thickness of each trunk BUT as they mature, how close is too close? Sagos are more sensitive to fertilizer, in contrast Queens need a good feeding. So when I fertilize, I don't want to upset my Sago and if it's too close I'll have a problem. Plus planting it too close may look bad??? Anyone have any experience with this?

FYI my goal is for the Sago to be an understory palm. So basically what do you think is the closest I can place a Sago next to a Queen? How much space do I need in between each palm if they are both mature palms? Thanks for your help.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
jayinflorida(USDA9)

You can plant them fairly close, I'd say 3' apart. You may already know this, the Sagao is actually a Cycad and not a palm. Just be keeping an eye out for scale and combat it as soon as you see it. Coffee grounds work well.

Bookmark   April 17, 2010 at 5:56PM
tropicalzone7(7b)

I agree, they shouldnt have to be planted too far away from each other. But I would leave about 2 feet of room between the end of a frond on the sago palm and the trunk of the queen palm so if the sago palm makes pups, they can grow.

Good luck!

Bookmark   April 17, 2010 at 11:30PM
theseventhlegend

Thanks guys. I was concerned about rootballs and not making the garden look cluttered as it matures. 3ft of space is all I have to the border... so either it won't work or I'll just have to redo the whole garden. lol

Bookmark   April 20, 2010 at 3:45PM
tropicalzone7(7b)

I think it should be okay. If your looking for a neat and spaced out look then they will be too close, but if you are hoping that one day all the plants kind of grow into each other (like a tropical look) then that should be just enough space.

Bookmark   April 20, 2010 at 4:01PM
kraken98

If you want both of your palm trees to look awesome, try planting them in a distance of 6 feet from each other, otherwise they might look to close when they grow affecting the view and coolness of the spot.

cuban cigars

Cigars

Bookmark   April 21, 2010 at 4:08PM
jimhardy

If you really want them to look cool......
plant some Cuban cigars all around them!

Does anybody know where to get some?

-Anybody?
Moderators?

Bookmark   April 21, 2010 at 8:20PM
brooklyngreg(7a NYC coastal plain)

I would plant at least 6 feet apart, and 8 feet is better, the sago is a slow grower and the queen palm grows much faster.

Bookmark   April 22, 2010 at 1:48PM
More Discussions
Windmill survival opinion
I have a windmill, only about 1 foot of trunk, maybe...
islandbreeze
Needle Palm Spearpull
I planted a needle palm last year and it overwintered...
i_like_pi
butia planting question in 6b
I'm expecting my butia delivery on march 21st to plymouth...
finn6b
I transplanted Bismarkias yesterday. Any success stories?
Late last summer I pushed two old Bismakia nobilis...
Josue Diaz
New coconuts
Hello everybody! I'm new to this forum and have an...
coconutman
Sponsored Products
Set of 6 Tan Nautical Lamp Shades 4x6x5.25 (Clip-On)
Lamps Plus
BluWorld Copper Falls Indoor/Outdoor Floor Fountain - VIWT8
$495.00 | Hayneedle
Treated Pine Greenfield Arbor and Swing Set
Fifthroom.com
Jaipur Blue Hand-Tufted Mumford Area Rug - RUG111639
$89.10 | Hayneedle
Jaipur Maroc Flat-Weave Rafi Area Rug - RUG116534
$57.96 | Hayneedle
Home Styles Plant Hooks Shelves & Stands Bali Hai Potting Bench 5660-91
Home Depot
Lexington Home Brands Monterey Sands Cupertino Triangular Nesting Tables Multico
$629.00 | Hayneedle
Campania International Kousa Planter - Set of 3 - 8820-0503
$499.99 | Hayneedle
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™