what the heck is this and how do i get rid of it?

julieinbeltonNovember 5, 2012

These things are growing all over my yard and being tracked through my house. I can't let my 4 month old play on the floor for fear of getting poked.�we have a 1/2 acre and they are everywhere. My neighbors don't seem to have these in their yards. They grow on a short stem and produce these little seed like poky things.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
fabaceae_native

Looks a bit like a cluster of seedpods of Goatheads (Tribulus terrestris), but you would probably already know about this horrid plant. A pic of the plant itself would definitely help someone identify it for you.

Bookmark   November 6, 2012 at 10:53AM
fabaceae_native

Almost forgot the how to get rid of part... If it IS goatheads, they thrive on disturbed, often compacted soil, and are strictly a warm season annual, so pulling them before they set seed is good for control. Some people torch them, if weather conditions permit. They can be really bad one year, then gone the next, dependent on the moisture regimes and seed sources. Limited bare, disturbed soil is probably the only long term no weeding solution to minimizing their growth.

Bookmark   November 6, 2012 at 10:58AM
Tiffany, purpleinopp GardenWeb, Z8b Opp, AL(8B AL)

You may want to ask your neighbors about their lawn care advice.

Bookmark   November 11, 2012 at 3:00PM
zzackey(8b GA)

We call them sandspurs here. Nasty things! Maybe Roundup would work? The torch thingey sounds kinda fun! Good way to release stress. Take that you darn weed!

Bookmark   December 25, 2012 at 12:38AM

Yes, it is a cruel irony that they grow at the beach!

Bookmark   December 25, 2012 at 11:44AM
pdsavage(5/6)

We used to run barefoot untill we moved to texas and stepped on those.

Bookmark   January 6, 2013 at 9:25AM

Agreed, I don't go outside much in AL w/o shoes on, but did as a summer rule in OH.

Don't think anybody said yet, keeping these things mowed often/low enough so they don't make those would be the best bet unless/until they are eradicated.

Bookmark   January 6, 2013 at 10:58AM
zzackey(8b GA)

We call them hitchhikers down here in the south. I don't know what to spray to kill them. We don't use chemicals. Maybe you can google some organic spray to kill them, I hope!!

Bookmark   April 28, 2013 at 5:55PM
greenleaf_organic(8, TX)

We have them too on our new property and I called into an organic gardening show for advice. He said they are the weakest of plants and the best way to get rid if them is to get your grass to flourish and they will be squeezed out. A good organic program for your grass is the key. A stopgap measure is to drag a burlap bag around the yard (maybe behind the mower) to pick up the burrs until your grass can choke them out. I started the organic program late last summer when we got the property and so far this year it seems much better. Hope this helps.

Bookmark   June 6, 2013 at 12:53AM
chickencoupe

Foot pain surpassed only by stepping on legos. Darned sand burrs!

Bookmark   September 19, 2013 at 2:25AM
Beckygrowsit

I do walk barefoot in my yard, and when I step on the pesky painful plants I sit down with a XL iced tea and pull them. (sometimes my limping dog is another indicator)

Bookmark   January 3, 2014 at 7:54PM
kaktuskris

I stepped on sandspurs during a visit to a beach in Florida many years ago. Quite an unforgettable experience, as they are quite painful, particularly when you try to remove them!

Christopher

Bookmark   January 3, 2014 at 8:20PM

Yeah, they're the 'dune bouncers.' If the sign doesn't stop you from climbing the dunes, the sand spurs should. There's also a cute little plant with white flower that 'bites' if you touch it though it doesn't LOOK prickly at all. You'll wish you'd stepped on sand spurs if you find that with your foot!

Bookmark   January 4, 2014 at 8:48AM
More Discussions
native ecologies
The valley floor of Yosemite, and it's technicolor...
woodschmoe
Tropical Swales
Hello, Anyone in the humid tropics ? Making a move...
Cdub44
Homemade Mycorrhizae
Has anyone made their own homemade Mycorrhizae soil...
BeeKind12
grant for permaculture enterprises app due Jan 14, 2015
As you may know, for the last year, our company TGI...
wrcinashfield
Setting up water cistern for local school-need help!
Hi, My son is trying to set up a water cistern as his...
henrodstone
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™