Diseased peony

DigginlifeJuly 1, 2013

I just planted this peony this year. Basically the whole plant is diseased...Can I cut it to the ground or spray with something? thanks for info tips

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
calistoga_al

I don't know that it is a disease. I would like more details of how it was planted, and what it looked like coming out of the pot. How it has been watered since planting. Al

Bookmark   July 2, 2013 at 10:18AM
lizbest1(5)

I've had similar burned looking leaves on peonies that I accidentally planted too deep, although they typically start shriveling, too. I dug them and replanted higher in the fall and they were fine the next spring. Could yours be the same thing or are they actually diseased rather than stressed?

Bookmark   July 2, 2013 at 10:20AM
Digginlife

It was fine when I planted it and it had several blooms.There were alot of small buds that turned black and didnt bloom. I bottom water... Weve been getting a lot of rain here in Ny lately..I havent mulched yet ...or fertilized since planting ..I think I added store bought compost and some ocemote when I planted...Ill double check but I think I planted at correct depth ...hmmm

Bookmark   July 2, 2013 at 10:36AM
calistoga_al

I do not often buy a blooming peony, but when I have they have been terribly root bound in the pot. In which case I am faced with keeping it in the pot and watering everyday just to keep it alive, or planting in the ground, scoring the rootball as much as possible and watching it suffer the stress, much as yours has. In the fall I dug them up and divided to replant a reasonably good plant. The small divisions saved did not survive in the spring. A big blooming peony at a reasonable price is not always a bargain. Al

Bookmark   July 3, 2013 at 9:51AM
nyboy

If you planted this year why not just return it?

Bookmark   July 5, 2013 at 9:50PM
More Discussions
New at growing peonies
Hi, I LOVE peonies, but I am new at growing them. After...
dizzylizzy415
Wild Peony (Paeonia mascula) Update:
Hi, Last September I have got 20 Paeonia mascula seeds...
cumulus_nimbus
Springhill Kirinmaru Peony
I just received Kirinmaru Peony from Springhill. The...
KarenPA_6b
dividing peonies
We are having a mild, dry January. Would it be a bad...
kAli6275
germinated peony seeds care
Tow seed started germinating about 2 months ago. the...
cumulus_nimbus
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™