Can I plant peonies in the summer?

Popp(5)July 7, 2013

I just bought some clearance roots that looked healthy, but every source I look at says to plant peony roots in the fall. A few sites advised planting them in pots and then transplanting, but I also read that peonies don't like to be disturbed.

Why can't I plant peonies right now? And what would you recommend doing: waiting, planting them in a pot and transplanting, or planting straight in the ground now?

Thank you!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
calistoga_al ca 15 usda 9

Of course you CAN plant them in the ground in the middle of summer, but it is not a good idea. Why not plant them in pots for the summer and let them get some growth on the roots before planting them in the garden? This would be easier to do with less risk of losing a weak plant. In a pot you move them into a partial shade area where you can keep an eye on them. Al

Bookmark   July 8, 2013 at 5:08PM
lizbest1(5)

I assume your clearance plants were bareroot. I'd second Al's recommendation, put them in pots in partial shade where you can control the amount of water they're given easily. You're right about them not wanting to be moved a lot but you can safely transplant those in pots in the fall. If your clearance plants were pots I'd just leave them as is until fall, find a shady spot for them and keep them watered through the summer. I'm in CO also, zone 5. Just plant them so the eyes are an inch or so below the ground in the fall and they'll be good for next spring. Good luck!

Bookmark   July 9, 2013 at 12:35AM
wieslaw59

Actually, no plant LIKES to be disturbed. But if you have to move something, then you have to. It is an old myth about peonies not liking this and that. 2 years ago I was throwing out some of my peonies I was tired of, and my brother-in-law took them all, in the middle of a heat wave in the middle of summer . Not only they all survived , but many of them bloomed next year.

Bookmark   July 9, 2013 at 9:27AM
hala2012(5b)

Hi, I also got just 1 bare root peony (Emile Debatene) @ Home Depot (Aurora, Ontario) / clearance for $1.75 :)
I just soaked it for few minutes in water to get a clear view of the eyes, and will plant it in a pot to get some growth on it (as per Al) and will see what happens...this is my first time to try bare roots method. On the other side I collected some seeds from my other herbaceous peonies and will try to get them germinate in some water then a small pot. Not sure if it works! Any advice here? thanks all peony lovers:)) Hala

Bookmark   July 13, 2013 at 3:01PM
pdsavage(5/6)

Did it all the time as I gave them away or thined them out around the old place.
I brought some with me and even mailed them out last summer.
Some even sat in a bag for awhile and they came back this year.

Bookmark   July 15, 2013 at 6:07AM
Popp(5)

Thanks for all the great feedback! Soaking the bare-roots now and I'll throw them in some pots in the shade. Appreciate it!

Bookmark   July 20, 2013 at 2:39PM
More Discussions
walmart peonies Sorbet and Emile Debatene
Found sorbet and Emile Debatene at Walmart yesterday...
raptor1
Peony Molly the Witch
Hello - I planted a super root 2 years ago. Last year...
furbank
Moving my Itoh peonies from IL to TN.
I dug these last November since I knew we might be...
ryseryse_2004
Itohs at Michigan Bulb
In case anyone is interested, MB offers the following...
KarenPA_6b
Peonie won't bloom
My mom dug up an old white peonie at an old home site...
Derby42 zone 6
Sponsored Products
Heath Zenith Wireless Lighting Indoor Wall Switch White SL-6017-WH5
$19.97 | Home Depot
Luxury Sinks | Modern Bathroom Sink Vessel Oval Black
maestrobath
Jenisen Arch 51 1/2" Wide Bronze Bathroom Light
Lamps Plus
simplehuman Semi-Round Step Brushed Stainless Steel Trash Can (10.5 Gallons)
Overstock.com
Isabel Gooseneck Single-Hole Kitchen Faucet
Signature Hardware
Besa Aero 21" High Satin Nickel Sconce
Euro Style Lighting
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™