transplanted sarah bernhardt wilting

bonfleur(5)July 1, 2013

Two months ago, I purchased from Costco a Sarah Bernhardt & a Raspberry Sundae peony bush. The soil here has a lot of clay so I prepared the soil with lots of Miracle Grow, gypsum, & compost. Once planted, I layered mulch. The spot where I planted them was in front of our house & gets direct sun the entire day. Within a month, the Raspberry Sundae shriveled & had brown spots on every leaf & ceased growing. I was concerned about fungus from too much watering or other contagious diseases I decided to cut my loss & pulled it up. The Bernhardt also started showing brown spots but was growing & had buds. Now, it stopped growing, the buds blackened, & the leaves are wilting. I sterilized my clippers & removed all dead buds & browning leaves. It seemed to be doing better but now the leaves & stems are wilting. I'm concerned that the direct sun & extreme heat we're having is killing it. I don't know what else to do. Help!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
KarenPA_6b

I am sorry to hear about your peonies. When you dig up the Raspberry Sundae plant, what was the condition of the tubers? Was it all shrivel, dried, or mushy? If the tubers are firm, I think they may just go through early dormancy. In this case, they are ok and they will grow back next year. I think your best bet for the Sarah Bernhardt peony is to leave it alone, let the leaves die back on its own and hope for the best next year. If you are curious to see if your plant is alive or dead, you can dig it up in October and if it is alive, there should be new eyes formed on the tuber for next spring. For now, just keep it well mulched or grow some annuals that will shade the spot where the peony was planted. Good luck!

Bookmark   July 1, 2013 at 5:48PM
calistoga_al ca 15 usda 9

You have just provided a reason for not planting in the dead of summer, especially during the current heat wave. Provide sarah with some badly needed shade until it gets established in your soil. Al

Bookmark   July 2, 2013 at 10:08AM
bonfleur(5)

What would be the best method to shade the peony plant? Our home is newly constructed & there's nothing to shield it. Thank you.

Bookmark   July 2, 2013 at 4:02PM
bonfleur(5)

What would be the best method to shade the peony plant? Our home is newly constructed & there's nothing to shield it. Thank you.

Bookmark   July 2, 2013 at 4:03PM
bonfleur(5)

Bookmark   July 2, 2013 at 6:30PM
bonfleur(5)

Bookmark   July 2, 2013 at 6:31PM
lizbest1(5)

If your peony is in a very visible place and you want the shade to be attractive you should look at the Umbrellas for Peonies post on page 3. You could always rig a shade cloth with the green T-posts, though, if you don't need it to be pretty!

Bookmark   July 2, 2013 at 11:40PM
More Discussions
cumulus_nimbus
Can peonies handle spring wet?
We moved to a new home a few years ago, and I've finally...
erikarochelle
Wild Peony (Paeonia mascula) Update:
Hi, Last September I have got 20 Paeonia mascula seeds...
cumulus_nimbus
Peony sorbet and karl
I recently got some sorbet and karl rosenfield, i've...
kaesgarden
any luck with peonies in Texas (7b).
I have a north east corner of my home, that gets a...
ingridjill
Sponsored Products
Serena & Lily Sarah Bird Lamp
Serena & Lily
Wild Poppy Lotion/Soap Dispenser
$9.99 | zulily
Tube 5044 Bath Bar by George Kovacs
$168.00 | Lumens
Sarah 5-piece Comforter Set
Overstock.com
Cubism Rectangular Bath Bar by George Kovacs
$260.00 | Lumens