spelt

edgar_1(z6NY)November 27, 2008

I planted spelt in my large back garden here in Brooklyn(lucky to have that) late september birds feasted and I am not sure I raked in deep enough. New to this. Now just a few shoots appear.

Don't think the sparrows ate all the seeds. What happens next. Do Shoots arrive later in winter or did I miss out not planting early enough...

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
brendan_of_bonsai(4b AK)

I think spelt is a type of wheat, so you want to plant in the spring or summer, so it has enough time to develop, since its not a perennial. You broadcast in spring and if you have a sparrow problem you can string a net out a few inches above the ground to keep the little pricks out. Alternatively you can catch and eat the sparrows, much more nutritive content per acre than spelt(0 acres or so) and house sparrows are an invasive species anyways.

Bookmark   November 29, 2008 at 10:19PM
marshallz10(z9-10 CA)

Spelt is large-seeded and well protected from most seed eaters while growning. The seed is tightly wrapped inside the glumes. Hard to thresh free of the covering for both you and other seed eaters. I don't know how well this grain will self-seed because the grain head doesn't "shatter" and scatter seed. Birds and rodent have an longer time to feast on the seeds.

You might have better luck saving seed, starting them inside and later transplanting out when soil warms.

Bookmark   December 6, 2008 at 2:44PM
edgar_1(z6NY)

Thank you people I learned yet again from experience I will take what you both said and process it.
Thanks again
E

Bookmark   December 6, 2008 at 9:57PM
More Discussions
Setting up water cistern for local school-need help!
Hi, My son is trying to set up a water cistern as his...
henrodstone
making my first swale
Hi,people! I think the best solution to my erosion/run-off...
bart_2010
Arracacia xanthorrhiza/Arracacha
I read about Arracacia xanthorrhiza aka Arracacha in...
timetraveler
Volunteer Wanted at Off-Grid B&B in Missouri, USA
I'm in my 6th year of building a sustainable bed &...
MayaCreek
grant for permaculture enterprises app due Jan 14, 2015
As you may know, for the last year, our company TGI...
wrcinashfield
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™