can my peony fungus spread to other species of plants?

maxineheather(z5 MA)July 26, 2005

I have a peony that came with my house with some kind of nasty fungus- it causes curly leaves, brown spots on the leaves and stem- but the flowers still bloom beautifully, and although the fungus was there last year too, the plant still came back as big and with as many nice blooms. I don't have any other peonies, but I was wondering if the fungus can spread to my other flowers, trees, or vegetables? If so I'll dig it out.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
jean001(z8aPortland, OR)

When it comes to the late-season nastiness of peony leaves, not as far as I know.

Bookmark   August 6, 2005 at 2:14AM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
maifleur01

Some peonies seem to come by the fungus more easily than others. It should not spread to your other plants. You should do two things.

This fall after frost cut the stems down. I leave about three inches of stem above ground as it seems to prevent root rot. The idea as I understand it is a stem cut off close to the root will act as a wick for moisture to enter the plant.

Try and give the plants more air. Keep the surrounding plants low or away from base of the leaves. Less stagnate air less moisture collects on the stems and leaves which provides a better place for the fungus to grow.

Bookmark   August 6, 2005 at 9:01PM
More Discussions
Peonie won't bloom
My mom dug up an old white peonie at an old home site...
Derby42 zone 6
Herbacious peony growing with tree peony
I have a tree peony in my garden that is 4/5 yrs old...
raptor1
germinated peony seeds care
Tow seed started germinating about 2 months ago. the...
cumulus_nimbus
Ask: Is this a peony?
Hi, three weeks ago i purchased peony seeds online....
rafflesia
seedy advice
Scarification we've all been there. But No matter what...
bragu_DSM 5
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™