bigeasyjock(z8Ms)November 25, 2005

I have a wide mildly sloped site that drains a good part of my humble 8 acres. I would like to create swells to slow down the run off and have a veggie / fruit mix type space.

My question is how high does the backside of the swell, the capturing lip, need to be? How wide should the space between swells be to be effective at capturing the run off.

Anyone out there using swells?


Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
gardenlen(s/e qld aust)

g'day mike,

reckon you mean swales hey? anyhow there are many ways to do this task maybe if you read my permaculture essay on my site then you could always e/mail me for more info' or ask more detailed questions here and i will respond.


mail len

lens garden page

    Bookmark   November 26, 2005 at 1:53PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
huisjen(z5 ME)

Mike, I think a lot of the answers to your questions have a lot to do with your land. Slope, soil type, strength of rain event... How fast is rain going to come in, over how big of an area, and how fast can it soak into the ground? The difference between rain in and out tells you how much you'll need to temporarily store, and how big the swale should be.

How close swales are to each other is then a funtion of how big the individual swales are.

The bigger the berm/swale, the more microclimate variations there will be as you go up it.


    Bookmark   November 27, 2005 at 8:54AM
Sign Up to comment
More Discussions
Looking for advice when it comes to pursuing permaculture
Hi my name is Andrew. I graduated a few years ago with...
Florida Permaculture Design Course 2015
March 16-27, 2015 At Kashi Ashram, 11155 Roseland Road,...
Wild Grapes with Black Rot
So, on the margin of my back yard I have some wild,...
Arracacia xanthorrhiza/Arracacha
I read about Arracacia xanthorrhiza aka Arracacha in...
Slow-moving forums...
I check in pretty regularly here at the Permaculture...
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™