Cutting back after bloom?

sammymommyJuly 6, 2008

Hi, my herbaceous peonies have bloomed, and the petals have all fallen off. Should I leave the leaves/foliage for the rest of the summer/fall? I'm imagining the answer is yes, but I'd love to be able to clean up the area a bit -- the stems are tall and flopping on nearby plants.

Thank you!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
duluthinbloomz4

I've never cut mine back other than the spent bloom so they don't set seed pods. The foliage stays clean for the rest of the season and I'll cut them down when I do my fall clean up. However, mine are in hoops which keeps the foliage upright and nicely contained.

But if one cuts peonies for floral arrangements, etc - I cannot imagine cutting back some of the foliage as well would do great harm.

Bookmark   July 6, 2008 at 7:48PM
Karchita(WA Z8)

Definitely do not cut them down completely. Not only will that weaken the plant which uses its leaves all summer to store energy for next year, but some peonies turn nice colors in the fall.

If the plant is large, healthy, and well-established, you could shorten it a bit with no harm done. Younger plants need all their leaves.

On my huge plants, I cut off the flower stalks by reaching down below the rest of the foliage, so the stumps don't stick up above the bushy mass. My plants are also in hoops, so they stay upright, but it is not too late to tie them up loosely with string. Without the flowers to get wet and heavy and topple over, it doesn't take much support to keep the stems upright and they will look better.

Bookmark   July 11, 2008 at 2:18PM
cynthis(7)

I'm very fond of how busy and green my peonies are after they've bloomed. Unless they get all mildewy, they are wonderfully lush until...well, now, fall. I leave them gently fenced up so they don't get too floppy.

Bookmark   September 30, 2008 at 9:11PM
More Discussions
Springhill Kirinmaru Peony
I just received Kirinmaru Peony from Springhill. The...
KarenPA_6b
Help with Peony?
My peony flowers are so big on each stem, they lay...
artymarti
Peony Molly the Witch
Hello - I planted a super root 2 years ago. Last year...
furbank
Peonie won't bloom
My mom dug up an old white peonie at an old home site...
Derby42 zone 6
Sponsored Products
Vinson Tufted Accent Chair - BLUE PATRN
$790.00 | Horchow
Batson Tiffany Style Filigree Bronze Table Lamp
Lamps Plus
Vintage Crystal Mesh Candles
$279.00 | FRONTGATE
Pink Monster Bin
$12.99 | zulily
Serena & Lily Preppy Stripe Dhurrie
Serena & Lily
Maria Theresa Gold Twenty-Five Light 30-Inch Chandelier with Royal Cut Clear Cry
Bellacor
Rose Arbor Pergola
Fifthroom.com
Pismo Wall Planter - Set of 3
$54.99 | Dot & Bo
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™