bald peonies

YooperDebbie(z4/gwinn mi)July 27, 2005

i bought a home where two peonies lived before i got there...they were planted at an obscure spot and i moved them to my flower bed...i've never seen a bud nor a flower on them.....what do they want? a spot off somewhere in the yard where they won't get the attention? i'm not sure what type they are..each spring they send up new red growth and make all kinds of leaves but are bald of flowers....i'd like to keep them but i'd like to see some color! someone help..i'm a newbie...thanx

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
paion

Peonies don't like to be moved, they may need a few years to settle in. You'll probably get a few flowers next spring :-)

Bookmark   July 27, 2005 at 2:47PM
flowerluvr(Z5 IN)

How long ago did you move them? It's not unusual for them to miss a year of blooming after a move. Also, peonies planted too deep won't bloom. The eyes should be only an inch or two under the soil. Hope the bloom for ya next year!

Bookmark   October 4, 2005 at 7:59PM
ywilliam(z2/3 AK)

Just plant them in a good organic soil, with bone meal, compost, well-rotted manure beneath root and in full sun area. The eyes should not be more than 1-2 inched below soil. Should also have good drainage, shy away from synthetic fertilizers or too much water. If the root is more than 3 years of age and is too large, you may want to divide it in its dormant stage. Fall planting and transplanting is recommended. (after 1st week of September). Good luck!

Bookmark   October 31, 2005 at 5:40PM
More Discussions
Desperate for Peonies in Texas
I would like to add peonies to my Central Texas garden,...
vuwugarden
Peony Molly the Witch
Hello - I planted a super root 2 years ago. Last year...
furbank
Double Pink Fernleaf
I have seen the most beautiful pink double fernleaf,...
KarenPA_6b
Herbacious peony growing with tree peony
I have a tree peony in my garden that is 4/5 yrs old...
raptor1
Itohs at Michigan Bulb
In case anyone is interested, MB offers the following...
KarenPA_6b
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™