Dividing peonies, need suggestion..

fgilles02420(z6 MA)July 31, 2007

Hello,

I know the conventional wisdom is to divide peonies in September. However should I divide them this fall if I plan to dig them up again and pot them for sale next spring? (I sell at a local plant sale). I'm not sure if it's a good idea to disturb them twice. They have been in place since 1994 and have always bloomed very well so I believe they are in good health. Thanks for any advice!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
maifleur01

Save yourself work. Pot them as you dig them. Then they may be sprouting in the pots ready for the new buyer.

Bookmark   July 31, 2007 at 9:41PM
fgilles02420(z6 MA)

Hi,
Do you mean divide and pot them in the fall, then sink the pots into the ground? I live in zone 5/6 so everything above ground will freeze totally solid - wasn't sure how that would affect viability.

Bookmark   August 1, 2007 at 4:59PM
maifleur01

You can sink in ground but you can also do the take a couple of straw bales or anything you might have to make a low wall. Put the pots in next to each other and cover with leaves. Borrow your neighbors. I would not put a tarp on top but if you have a critter problem you can use any open weave material or just tree and brush branches to hold the leaves in place. After the first couple of rains the top will stop blowing away. If you have extra money you could cover the whole thing in straw.

Go the library or look on line on how pioneers made root or vegetable bins or cellers and you may have a better idea what I am talking about.

Bookmark   August 1, 2007 at 8:23PM
More Discussions
Peonies Zone 9
I've read that tree peonies do better in my zone, however...
MK
seedy advice
Scarification we've all been there. But No matter what...
bragu_DSM 5
I'm So Bored!
Why does this winter feel SSSSOOOO LLLLOOOONNNNNGGGGGG??...
lizbest1
Moving my Itoh peonies from IL to TN.
I dug these last November since I knew we might be...
ryseryse_2004
bare root peonies - when to plant?
Well, its that time of year in the northeast when I...
frances_in_nj
Sponsored Products
Valencia Leather Bar Stools
Grandin Road
Maria Theresa Chrome Thirteen-Light 27-Inch Chandelier with Royal Cut Clear Crys
Bellacor
Robert Sonneman Rectangular Handkerchief Pendant Chandelier
Euro Style Lighting
Westbury Tan Bell Shade Brass Swing Arm Floor Lamp
Lamps Plus
Amelia Queen Fabric Bed Frame in Gray
$549.00 | LexMod
Illumine Outdoor Lanterns. 2-Light Pocket Lantern New Tortoise Shell with Gold P
Home Depot
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™