Help

ms.christieJuly 31, 2012

I have a tree peony that is leaning way over and can't hold itself up when in bloom...I believe it's because the herbaceous peony is grown too close and crowding it. I'm a brand new gardener and homeowner and I'm looking for any suggestions on how to fix this problem. Thanks:)

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
stevelau1911

That is most likely the herbaceous root stock sprouting from the nurse root of your tree peony which was likely not planted deep enough.

If you want to fix this, I would suggest pulling out all the herbaceous stems, then digging out the entire plant and planting it at least 1ft deeper. This can help prevent herbaceous sprouts from coming out, and it will give a chance for the woody tree peony part of the plant to produce its own roots which will eventually result in the tree peony growing independent from the nurse root. Your tree peony will decline in a few years if it doesn't produce its own roots. If you plant it deeper now, it should start growing some root hairs this fall, but it might take until the fall of 2013 to really produce a good root system.

I've attached a blog of exacly what I am talking about.

Here is a link that might be useful: blog from Cricket hill garden

Bookmark   July 31, 2012 at 6:25PM
More Discussions
Desperate for Peonies in Texas
I would like to add peonies to my Central Texas garden,...
vuwugarden
Springhill Kirinmaru Peony
I just received Kirinmaru Peony from Springhill. The...
KarenPA_6b
Herbacious peony growing with tree peony
I have a tree peony in my garden that is 4/5 yrs old...
raptor1
walmart peonies Sorbet and Emile Debatene
Found sorbet and Emile Debatene at Walmart yesterday...
raptor1
dividing peonies
We are having a mild, dry January. Would it be a bad...
kAli6275
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™