Need info. about slugs

northerner_on(Z5A ONCanada)January 26, 2010

I always have a problem with slugs because of the amount of wood (in piles) right on the ground in my yard. I have been able to keep them at bay with slug pellets, but they are expensive and have to be re-applied after rain. This year I am planning to build a raised bed for lettuce and other green plants and I do not want to eat any if slugs have been on them. I am thinking of applying copper flashing (about 1 inch thick) around the outside of the boards to keep slugs out, but I have never tried the copper prevention. Has anyone ever tried copper as a deterrent? Does it work, or am I wasting my time?

Thank you in advance,

Northerner.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Kimmsr(4a/5b-MI)

Slugs will be around anytime you provide a good, healthy soil that is well endowed with organic matter and is propely mulched since that creates the conditions that slugs really like to live in, a cool, moist environment with ample food nearby. If the slugs are outside of the bed the plants they like are growing in the copper strips could keep them out, but if they are already in the soil n the bed the copper strips will be an expensive, and useless, attempt at control.
I find that I have less trouble with slugs when the mulch is quite heavy, apparently they have ample food in that mulch and leave the growing plants alone. Saucers of stale beer can be a less expensive method of control and encouraging toads and garter snakes to hang around the garden is another.

Bookmark   January 26, 2010 at 7:07AM
rhizo_1 (North AL) zone 7

I've not used copper flashing around an entire plant bed, but going by my much smaller experience, it might work. Copper IS, by the way, an absolute deterrent to slugs.

I've used copper screen in the bottom of my outdoor containers to keep the potting mix in and the slugs out. I've also trimmed the outside of containers to prevent slugs from climbing in and helping themselves to whatever I may be growing.

Watch what happens when a slug touches something copper, and you'll see for yourself! It's almost fun!

Bookmark   January 26, 2010 at 10:39AM
tsugajunkie z5 SE WI

An electrician I know would bring me scraps of copper wiring that I would make into a circle and lay around my hostas. Worked very well. It all gets recycled now so, alas, no more scraps.

tj

Bookmark   January 26, 2010 at 5:57PM
jean001(z8aPortland, OR)

Slugs & snails can "loop" over a one-inch wide band. To be effective, it should be 4 inches. Then you have to monitor for any "bridges" -- plant material hanging over the fudge which can provide a detour and/or shortcut.

Bookmark   January 27, 2010 at 12:00AM
jean001(z8aPortland, OR)

hehehe -- "plant material hanging over the fudge..." I meant "over the edge!" (spellers; aren't they wonderful?)

Bookmark   January 27, 2010 at 12:45AM
northerner_on(Z5A ONCanada)

Thank you all, this post has been most educational. I did not think that slugs were actually in the soil. I thought they emerged from under the logs nearby at night and went to dinner on my plants. Also, I did not realize they were so 'agile' as to arch over bariers. They have been chomping on my beans and tomato plants, but they cannot completely wipe them out, but the green leafy veggies will be easier. I think I will use some copper flashing it it's not too expensive, put down some pellets, and try the slug patrol each night. I have a neighbour who does that but I'm not sure of her success. Thank you all very much.
Northerner.

Bookmark   January 28, 2010 at 6:14AM
briergardener_gw

I like copper against slug. The only problem to make sure that soil and compost that we add don't contain eggs of slugs.

Bookmark   January 30, 2010 at 11:56AM
More Discussions
Magnolia champaca- loosening of the leaves
As shown in the picture this Magnolia champaca planted...
b42anuradha
Gardening in NC : Help Please
I am starting a garden at a local middle school in...
claymarion
Lilac Concerns
My lilac plant is... frying? ... Lives in zone 8a One...
kricsten
Can I fix these split branches?
I have two different bushes/shrubs that have split...
dblank
Acacia invaded by Caterpillars!
My wife and I don't know what to do. We have a small...
llilibel03
Sponsored Products
Gift Mark Square Table and Chair Set - 5 Piece - 3008H
$113.62 | Hayneedle
Safavieh Indoor/Outdoor Area Rug: Safavieh Rugs Cambridge Lavender/Ivory 6 ft.
Home Depot
ECR4KIDS 30 in. Round Bentwood Play Table - ELR-14301-16
$111.99 | Hayneedle
Toscanaluce by Nameeks 6509 Towel Bar - TOSCANALUCE 6509-BR
$284.99 | Hayneedle
Plain Brown Box Boxes & Cartons 12 in. x 12 in. x 48 in. 15-Box Bundle PRA0067B
$36.45 | Home Depot
Double Decker Side Table in Clear
$111.99 | Dot & Bo
Illumine Ceiling Mounted Lighting Thermal 2-Light Satin Nickel Bowl Semi Flush
$74.00 | Home Depot
Calphalon Katana Cutlery 8 in. Chefs Knife - KN4008VS