They're predicting a bad year of stinkbugs...

ms_minnamouse(7a)January 15, 2013

They're predicting the brown marmorated stinkbugs to be really bad this year.

How will I be able to grow anything? They've already made having a garden very difficult. They pierce a veggie and then move on to the next and the next and the next until they've ruined every last one. I don't like eating something that a stinkbug has been feeding from and while I can cut off half a watermelon, I can't do that with grape tomatoes.

I'm just about to throw in the towel for veggies and fruit but I'd still like to be able to grow at least some herbs. But it's the same story. I can't harvest anything because the disgusting bugs are sucking the plants dry or have infested the plant.

I can't afford to create greenhouses over every plant and they'd bake in the sun if I did. I don't have a greenhouse either and there's no way I can afford one.

The stinkbug traps aren't that great. They mostly draw some in the general direction of the traps and they easily crawl in and out of the traps. And some traps can't compete with the hoard.

And this has been the previous years and it hasn't been as bad as they're predicting for this year. How will I grow anything at all?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Kimmsr(4a/5b-MI)

Those "traps" for stinkbugs attract them to the area because of the pheromone used just as the Japanese Beetle traps attract them. Were I to use one I would place it as far from my garden as possible. Pesticides also will kill off any potential predators of these buggers.
Apparently the Brown Marmorated Stinkbug is developing resistence to every pesticide almost as soon as it is introduced.

Floating Row Covers appear to be the most effective method there is to keep these wee buggers away from our plants.

Bookmark   January 15, 2013 at 7:37AM
jean001a(Portland OR 7b)

It would be useful to know which region is predicted to have more problems.

Bookmark   January 15, 2013 at 9:24AM
gilley111

I received a phone call from a woman who said she was inundated with them in her house. Her description reminded me of the movie "The Birds". Haven't come across a solution for them as yet. Is there one?

Bookmark   January 16, 2013 at 4:18PM
Kimmsr(4a/5b-MI)

Stink bugs, like the Asian Lady Beetles and the Box Elder Bugs find ways to get inside our house walls in the fall to spend the winter. The most effective means of control is to keep them from getting into those walls.
However, if they are there now then about all she can do is capture them and either release them outside of, as my wife does, flush them. The worst thing to do is smash them since they will release that distinctive aroma and stain the surface they are smashed on.

Bookmark   January 17, 2013 at 6:39AM
dirtguy50 SW MO z6a(6a)

ms_minnamouse, who is "they" that made this prediction? Just curious of the source. Thanks.

This post was edited by dirtguy50 on Fri, Jan 25, 13 at 12:58

Bookmark   January 25, 2013 at 12:57PM
ms_minnamouse(7a)

The news, Stop BMSB, etc. says so.

They're in my house also but that's not what I'm talking about. I'm talking about being able to grow anything outside.

Bookmark   January 25, 2013 at 9:41PM
Kimmsr(4a/5b-MI)

This is one of some 1,400,000 some articles Google said are out there about Stinkbugs in 2013.

Here is a link that might be useful: About Stinkbugs

Bookmark   January 26, 2013 at 6:58AM
More Discussions
Miscoscopic silver insect
Hi, I need help for an identification. I found them...
MerlinMerlin
Help! My Coleus Has Yellowing, Dying Leaves
I have an unknown variety of coleus; spent last summer...
linuschris
Help for my Privet
I have two large privets outside on my Patio, (i live...
estesdv
Magnolia champaca- loosening of the leaves
As shown in the picture this Magnolia champaca planted...
b42anuradha
Weird white stuff growing on my plants.
I've noticed weird stuff growing & spreading on...
Cheryl Tan
Sponsored Products
San Luca Outdoor Sofa Cover
$104.50 | FRONTGATE
Safavieh Indoor/Outdoor Area Rug: Safavieh Rugs Natural Fiber Beige / Red 8 ft.
Home Depot
Snow Scene Wendell August Ornament
$7.49 | zulily
American Drew Camden Dark Rectangular Coffee Table - 919-910
$525.00 | Hayneedle
Toy Story 3 Peel & Stick Decal Set
$9.99 | zulily
Isabella Wing Banquette - LAVENDER
$3,319.00 | Horchow
Kissimmee Cuddle Chair, Patio Furniture
FRONTGATE
Furniture of America Allesia Dining Buffet Table with 6-Bottle Rack - ID-11423