peony not growing

Ecataldo58August 3, 2014

Planted a bare root Itoh peony (correctly)) this April-2014 and the first Maroon color leaves came up around late May. The leaves eventually took to a dark green shade and stood about 4" above ground level and that's where we are today still. Just one shoot with 5 leaves came up . The leaves were firm and everything looked good. It is now 8/3/14 and the same 5 leaves are starting to curl a bit and the shade is changing at the tips to a different shade (light green) and the leaves are not as stiff as earlier. I watered it regularly (not too much) and we have had some good summer rain. This is the first time trying to grow this bush and I am at a loss what to do next? All my other garden flowers are doing great. The soil is fine and the spot that I planted it gets a lot of sun. I have heard that it is much better to plant a bare root Itoh Peony in the fall (for better success) and I am willing to try it again if needed in another spot. Any opinions as to starting again with a NEW bare root (this fall) or how can I save this one or can it be saved ? What am I doing wrong or is everything okay and just wait till next year for better results? Will be grateful for any and all suggestions.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
lizbest1(5)

It really isn't unusual to not get a lot of growth on any spring planted peony in that same year. Definitely don't give up hope, it should be just fine. I plant a lot of peonies in the spring and normally get those same results, it'll grow much, much better next spring!

Bookmark   August 3, 2014 at 10:43PM
Ecataldo58

Thank You for your response and words of encouragement . The success of this bush means a lot to me for I planted this for my wife who loves Itoh Peonies. Right now, she is going through some very difficult times and I want this to be successful for her. If I may ask you - since there are only 5 leaves which are no taller than 4" in height, do I cut them before the winter sets in or do I leave them alone till spring 2015? Your response is warmly appreciated.

Bookmark   August 4, 2014 at 7:52AM
lizbest1(5)

As your weather cools the stems and leaves will brown, will sometimes do it even earlier when they're spring planted that same year. You can cut them back then. If you're in a damp climate and you see any mildew it's fine to cut them back earlier. I hope they do well and you get some blooms next year, Itohs are beautiful flowers and your wife will love them! Which one did you get?

Bookmark   August 4, 2014 at 6:03PM
Ecataldo58

We picked out Itoh Bartzella . My wife lives yellow flowers . Question - how low to the ground do I cut the leaves ? Ground level so NO leaf shows ?
Thank you Miyako and Ed

Bookmark   August 5, 2014 at 10:50AM
More Discussions
I'm So Bored!
Why does this winter feel SSSSOOOO LLLLOOOONNNNNGGGGGG??...
lizbest1
Peony Molly the Witch
Hello - I planted a super root 2 years ago. Last year...
furbank
Springhill Kirinmaru Peony
I just received Kirinmaru Peony from Springhill. The...
KarenPA_6b
Peony Help, Please
Just noticed today that my Peony has clear looking...
noribnori
Any ideas what kind of peony is this one?
Hi, I wonder if anyone knows ( or guesses ) the peony...
AlexUnder
Sponsored Products
Peony Purple Bold Stripe Double Gourd Table Lamp
Lamps Plus
Luxembourg Privacy Screen
Grandin Road
Peony Purple Circle Rings Double Gourd Table Lamp
Lamps Plus
Modern Indoor/Outdoor Area Rug: Chandra Rugs Bay Tan/Orange 2 ft. x 3 ft.
$48.00 | Home Depot
Almost Autumn Expectation Autumn Wood Silver Six-Light Chandelier
Bellacor
Handcrafted Birchwood 8-piece Comforter Set
Overstock.com
Madison Floral Outdoor Rug
Grandin Road
Foldable Square Garden
$34.99 | zulily
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™