How long to reach maturity?

blan(z6a MA)August 13, 2007

I planted 2 barefoot peonies last year in the Spring. I got a single stem and a few leaves out of each during the last summer. This summer I got a few more stems and more leaves, but the plants are still short (about 12"), and no buds.

How many years does it usually take for barefoot peonies to reach maturity and bloom?

Thanks!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Chemocurl zn5b/6a Indiana(zone 5/6)

I would have thought by planting spring of 2006 that you might have had a bloom or two this season. However, this was a bad spring season in many places, with the very late freeze affecting some buds/blooms.

but the plants are still short (about 12"), and no buds.
Most peonies only bud and bloom one time and that is in the spring. There are a few rare exceptions I think...like possibly some 'tree' peonies.

Are they pretty well getting full sun? Were you careful to not plant the 'eyes' too deep? The eyes should not be any more than 2" deep, or they will not flower.

Sue

Bookmark   August 14, 2007 at 10:39AM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
calistoga_al

My peonies appreciate 3 or 4 inches of finished compost spread around them, not on top, spring and fall. Yours will probably give you a bloom or two next year. The short stems may be caused by soil not containing enough vegetative matter to promote a healthy soil food web. Al

Bookmark   August 16, 2007 at 9:38AM
More Discussions
Tree Peonies from Songsparrow
Well I just placed an order to Songsparrow Nursery...
peonyman
Springhill Kirinmaru Peony
I just received Kirinmaru Peony from Springhill. The...
KarenPA_6b
Sinking peonies
Most of my peonies are in raised beds, which over the...
calistoga_al
dividing peonies
We are having a mild, dry January. Would it be a bad...
kAli6275
Peony Molly the Witch
Hello - I planted a super root 2 years ago. Last year...
furbank
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™