Almost time to grow tree peonies from seeds

littlebinAugust 5, 2014

I have grown a lot of tree peonies from seeds, most of them are rockii hybird, they are just on 2nd year, I don't know what color, when and weather they will bloom... My lutea var. ludlowii died this spring :(, maybe due to last extremely cold winter.

I plan to collect more tree peonies seeds this year: the unidentified purple, red and yellow tree peonies, "Toichi Ruby"... There are limited spaces in my apt :(. but I just can not help planting more...

This post was edited by littlebin on Tue, Aug 5, 14 at 11:41

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
lizbest1(5)

I'm trying them from seed for the first time this year, Littlebin. Do you keep yours potted?

Bookmark   August 5, 2014 at 10:51PM
littlebin

Lizin, yes, mine is potted.
It is suggested to sink the pot in the soil in winter and put mulch on top if the winter is too cold.

Bookmark   August 5, 2014 at 11:15PM
stevelau1911

I really doubt that ludlowii would have been winter killed unless you got super cold temperatures. It got to -9F, and none of my ludlowiis got any damage. Even the seeds managed to sprout, and they keep putting on leaves throughout the year.

This is my smallest one, but none of them took any damage despite being brand new plants last year.

Bookmark   August 9, 2014 at 11:54PM
littlebin

Thanks Steve, after last winter, Ludlowii didn't sprout again :(, it had some buds, but in the end, the buds died off. So I thought it was killed by winter, it was very healthy last year. I am at 5b, but I did put Ludlowii indoor after late Dec. Anyway, it died in the second year:(.

Bookmark   August 10, 2014 at 11:52AM
lizbest1(5)

I asked a question of Carol Adelman about planting tree peonies in pots, ordered a very short tree from them and was concerned about being able to see the blooms since it's a droopy bloom one (Alice Harding). She said it was the constant freezing and thawing that is the culprit rather than just the cold. Our winters here are bad that way, lots of snow followed by very mild temps and lots of sunshine. After her email response I decided to just plant Alice H near a 3' retaining wall rather than try the pot since I couldn't put a pot anywhere that it wouldn't freeze/thaw/repeat. Seems to work well for some gardeners if they're put in an unheated garage, too, don't have room in mine!

Bookmark   August 12, 2014 at 11:45AM
More Discussions
Peonie won't bloom
My mom dug up an old white peonie at an old home site...
Derby42 zone 6
late in life experiment
After putting it off forever, I finally decided to...
bragu_DSM 5
I bought peony seeds, now what?
I bought two different types of peony seeds-I wasn't...
polypeptide
Adelman's Itoh Offerings for 2015
Has anyone seen Adelman's new peony catalog yet? They...
lizbest1
Tree Peonies from Songsparrow
Well I just placed an order to Songsparrow Nursery...
peonyman
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™